Anyone in okinawa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh and happy new years to you guys

me and the wife and kid are just going to go to the movies and eat dinner some were then open up this bottle of bare foot bubble i bought ...

so enjoy new years

i have a friend searching the island tomorrow for a place that fills american tanks.......there has to be a place to do it....it really should only take a hp adapter....btw, i just live out gate one, perhaps one of these days we can get together and brew :D

loadtoad00,
Any updates on the CO2? I'm about to keg 2 batches and my 5lb bottle that I brought from the States doesn't have much left in it.

Thanks,

see if you can find an adapter so that i can throw co2 into your tank from my tank...
that way i can fill up my tank... and then fill up your tank with my tank... since mine is bigger... of course it wont really fill up your tank completely it will just give you enough co2 to make it for awhile...

Update to Tank Refils fellas. Sorry for the delay, actually was opening my latest shipment from midwest when I got the email :D Anyways, one of my buddies with a sankey kegerator went to Okano Gas Co with his 5# bottle, which was brand new, and had the American Inspection Stickers. They filled his tank he said for 3000 yen. No adapters, or Japanese Insp required. This may be a case by case deal, depending on whether or not your tank is good with American inspections. Worse case, you go there to get your tank filled, and get turned away, but while you are there you can pick up the adapter to use Japanese Rental tanks with your reg.

That's exactly what I did loadtoad... But my tank was brand new and never been inspcted.... So I just bought the adapter and rented a tank ... Walla

ok guys... im brewing tomorrow... possibly... if i can get the time... hahahahh

if not i will be pushing it back to next thursday evening...

so if you guys are interested...

080 3422 0309

sorry for the lat notice

I'm looking forward to getting to Oki and meeting some fellow brewers. I will be there in mid April; however, I'm currently running into the problem of our weight restriction. I have a 3 tap kegerator, 3 15 1/2 gallon keggles, keggle stand, burner, 4 carboys, 7 corney kegs, and 5 CO2 tanks. Obviously I won't be bringing all (or any) of the CO2 tanks and probably not more than 4 of the corneys but I was wondering, based on what's available there, do you see anywhere that I could trim the wieght? Wonder how expensive it you be to mail some of it (or other things) so that I can make weight.

Any problem getting 10 gallon all grain ingredents mailed out there?

Keg 1: Sculpin IPA
Keg 2: Old Gaurdian Barley wine
Keg 3: Hazelnut Brown
Keg 4: Gingerbread Red
Keg 5: Old Gaurdian Barley wine

Primary: Ruby Red Grapefruit / Strawberry Melomel

do you see anywhere that I could trim the wieght? Wonder how expensive it you be to mail some of it (or other things) so that I can make weight.

Did TMO already weight your house hold goods? Did they say it was too much? I would say do not part with any brewing stuff; part with the crap you don't need. I still have boxes from my PCS from England that have not been unpacked. Basically crap that could have been tossed or donated.

I'm looking forward to getting to Oki and meeting some fellow brewers. I will be there in mid April; however, I'm currently running into the problem of our weight restriction. I have a 3 tap kegerator, 3 15 1/2 gallon keggles, keggle stand, burner, 4 carboys, 7 corney kegs, and 5 CO2 tanks. Obviously I won't be bringing all (or any) of the CO2 tanks and probably not more than 4 of the corneys but I was wondering, based on what's available there, do you see anywhere that I could trim the wieght? Wonder how expensive it you be to mail some of it (or other things) so that I can make weight.

Keg 1: Sculpin IPA
Keg 2: Old Gaurdian Barley wine
Keg 3: Hazelnut Brown
Keg 4: Gingerbread Red
Keg 5: Old Gaurdian Barley wine

Primary: Ruby Red Grapefruit / Strawberry Melomel

I recently went through the PCS nightmare. I brought a 3 keg keezer (5.0cuft Holiday), 2 Sanke kegs, 5 corney kegs, 3 carboys, 10gal mash tun, burner, 2 brew pots, all the misc extra equipment and 5 extract/ all grain kits. The 5# CO2 bottle was an issue but I put in the keezer where it wouldn't be seen and it arrived no problem. We didn't bring much furniture and were still over by a couple hundred pounds. TMO hasn't said anything and I ain't asking. What will kill you is when you get here and learn that the Air Force is allowed full house hold goods move to and from the island.

I regularly order supplies from More Beer and get them in a week to 10 days with no customs issues. Yeast is the only problem. I have been ordering dry yeast to avoid any liquid yeast issues.

Good luck in the move and if you need anything just ask.

I recently went through the PCS nightmare. I brought a 3 keg keezer (5.0cuft Holiday), 2 Sanke kegs, 5 corney kegs, 3 carboys, 10gal mash tun, burner, 2 brew pots, all the misc extra equipment and 5 extract/ all grain kits. The 5# CO2 bottle was an issue but I put in the keezer where it wouldn't be seen and it arrived no problem. We didn't bring much furniture and were still over by a couple hundred pounds. TMO hasn't said anything and I ain't asking. What will kill you is when you get here and learn that the Air Force is allowed full house hold goods move to and from the island.

I regularly order supplies from More Beer and get them in a week to 10 days with no customs issues. Yeast is the only problem. I have been ordering dry yeast to avoid any liquid yeast issues.

Good luck in the move and if you need anything just ask.

In response to your yeast issue. I buy from Midwestsupplies.com I got my yeast 5 days after they shipped. It wasn't cold, but the icepack was still cooler than room temp. Smackpack plumped up after about an hour, and after starter, 6 hours later my Java Stout was rumbling hard in the primary. Still have some yeasties in the fridge too :D

About your TMO I have no answers. I started from scratch when I got here, and had to slowly build my Brew House back up. Side note: Waiting on a larger flask in the mail so I can do this Barleywine......and the lactose for my next Java Stout. Another Side note: We all definetly need to get together one of these days.... OKI BREWERS UNITE!

I just seem to be rambling. My number is. 080 4008 3673 if y'all want to give me some home brew learning.

Good info about the yeast, thanks. I probably should order some soon before it heats up around here.

If you need any equipment let me know, I don't mind lending stuff out in exchange for a beer sample :drunk:

OKI BREWERS UNITE :ban:

I'd love to check out any of your setups some day. Mine is simple: Two 6-gallon buckets for primary and secondary (carbonation) and Grolsch-style bottles for ease of bottling. I've done a few extract kits and Ed's Apfelwein, and I have helped in a partial mash before but I want to eventually start moving toward forced carbonation and full mash.

i am starting on my second batch for the day... in about a half hour...
have to clean up last batches mess... hahahahahah

so if anyone wants to come buy... please do so...

call me at 080 3422 0309... im out by courtney...

Damn, I just left Courtney and got to Kadena... I thought you were near Kadena? Guess I missed another opportunity to hook up with you.

licenseless said:
i am starting on my second batch for the day... in about a half hour...
have to clean up last batches mess... hahahahahah

so if anyone wants to come buy... please do so...

call me at 080 3422 0309... im out by courtney...

Sorry, would have loved to stop by, I actually don't even know where Courtney is lol. I'm outside Kadena gate 1, and only know where foster, Lester, and Schwab are. Plus I had already started drinking a home brew :)

ok... so i put off doing this brew until tomorrow... because my buddy from work said he is going to try and come over tomorrow around 2 or 3... after we get back from pizza in the sky for lunch...

so if you want to come by... this is my place

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=e...d=CpGGGT26Ks5cQ5DvrmOFHA&cbp=11,40.43,,0,1.83

the imperial is going to start around 3 or so... i have to get back from lunch... then clean up ... and get ready for brewing... i might have to get a propane tank filled too... so yeah... probably 3...

so yeah... figure it out... show up... hahahahah the wife and kid will be here... i might try and get the wife to take the dog out of the house during the final boil and the cool down... but the dogs figured out she isnt allowed near the brew hahahahaha... so that might not need to be done...

anyways.. see you guys tomorrow if you can... and if you want.. show up at pizza in the sky around 1130... we are going to eat there first... been promising my daughter this for awhile... but keep getting side tracked every time we go up north

Oh crap, sorry man. I just checked the forum :(. I'm either doin my java cream stout or a barleywine next sat. You or anyone else from here is welcome. Pelli do a little BBQ action to boot. I have all the equipment for all grain, this will be my second AG batch, so some passing of secrets would be nice ;). I live by gordies, phone number attached for directions. Hope to see y'all next weekend. Once again, sorry to miss Ur session.

well this freaking imperial... is not showing me the numbers i wanted... at 7.5 gallons its 1.030... so hopefully if i boil off 2.5 gallons it goes up to atleast 1.060... but thats still like.020 less than i want...

i just asked the wife... and she said she isnt interested so i guess it might just be me...

is there anything you need me to bring... i will try and grab some beers from altec that i like and see if you have tried them or not...

and as for this damn imperial... ****...

oh... and i might be getting a job else were... so i might have to start packing up... no joke... hahahahahahahahahahahahah

so i am clearing my kegs... and going to have this oatmeal stout kegged by friday... and carbinated and ready to go by saturday... if the gravity is good enough... if not i will wait until next friday...

but like i said i should be by this saturday... to help ya brew ... just let me know what you need...

and when you say next to gordies... do you mean out gate 1 of kadena... if so were are you from bandm motors

hahahahahahahaha
i dont know why... but i thought this damn pot was 32 quarts.... hahahahahahaha

its ****ing 40 hahahahahaha so i got almost 9 gallons of beer... that makes more since why it took for ever to do the run off... so ... i guess my hydrometer wasnt lying... and my sugar levels should be around 1.070... which is still low

but i dont care
hahahahahah

this makes more since why my run off was getting real clear before it was done... and i was thinking it was because it wasnt getting all the sugars it needed hahahahahahha this is goign to be the longest boil time ever... just so that i can run off about 4 gallons of water hahahahahah

That's one long boil! Hopefully you got your lp tank filled lol. And yes, gordies right out gate 1 Kadena. Hopefully your imperial turns good, of corse because is is homebrew I have no doubt! Equipment wise I can't think of anything. I have a rectangle mash tun so I don't use a sparge arm. I could use a little schooling on batch sparging, for some reason, I don't want to stir up the mash bed lol, still got 82% ef last batch though

82% is good... or are you saying 82% of what they said it should be at...

because 60 to 70 percent mash efficiency is what most of the brew kits are at...

so if they say you should have been at a 1.050 for your final... were you at 1.055 or 1.045

if its less... then it probably has to do with the water acidity or depending on what type of beer you are making if you should have done a decoction instead of just a batch ...

have you read john palmers how to brew... thats the **** if you ask me

Reading palmer now. Og was suppose to be 1.060 I got 1.068. Hydro is calibrated, so I was happy. I was gonna batch sparge, but did about a 15 minute "fly sparge" with a strainer and pot" without storing up the mash. Was a little drunk when I made that decision, but turned out well :)

hahhahahh... always good to drink... and since i will be up for hours now hahahahah boiling off a few gallons hahahaha... i am starting my round of guiness...

as for the 1.068... thats actually really good... was there any sediment... if not... then kudos...

i am usually a little bit low on the efficiency because i have a gatorade cooler and metal tube screen.
i have been told it can let the water run to fast threw it... so i back it off let it settle and it seems to do the trick

Sediment was about 1/4 inch in carboy.... Ie not much. I did toilet supply line from makemon, and bx cooler . Good numbers to me!

was that at the end of fermenting... i am talking more about after the boil... because if there is alot of sediment in suspension during your hydrometer test it can give you a higher number...

but if it was fairly clear after the boil... then that should be accurate numbers for your hydrometer test

i am at almost 3 gallons down... which means i will start my actual hops soon
i might wait for a half more to run off... and try and get a little over...

its a steady slow boil...

oh i just got a heads up from a buddy of mine who owns a bar on bc street... loco island... he said if i give him a five gallon keg... he will host it at the bar... and then if people want to give me donations for having nice hair or something ... then they can...

so we might be having a brew party late one night on bc street...

depends on if i can get him to open sooner than midnight hahahahahahh

Hey, if any of you guys are on Facebook I just created a page HomeBrewing Okinawa. If several of us join I will keep it going if not no big deal and I will delete it.

You cant just have everything shipped to your FPO? Im assuming your military. When I was in Yokosuka I used to get mountain bike parts sent to my ship all the time ans I dont remember shipping being too bad.

just kegged my oatmeal stout... and while siphoning it over to the keg to do the secondary... i forgot to test the FG... but

that should have been fine... had i not ran out of CO2 to push some out to test it... BUT NO... i had to run out hahahahah

so i have no clue how the flavor or the final gravity is... even though i guess its not really the final gravity.. since i dont plan on actually drinking it for another week... or so...

as for this saturday... i think i will be bringing over a container of my left over pumpkin ale from thanksgiving...

so let me know if this Saturday is still on for brewing...

This sat is still on. I got my triple hop IPA gtg! About you fg, try stiring a test sample with a fork for a while to kill the co2?

Back