Anyone else having trouble with Wyeasts website?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
I don't know when, but Wyeast have updated their website, and it's not for the better.

Finding the yeast I'm looking for is way harder than it should be. If I search for a yeast strain by it's number (3711) I don't get any results. I have to search for it by it's name (french saison).

And then there is the filtering of the results. On attenuation, temperature and ABV you don't have to pick a specific number. On flocculation however you have to pick one of five different levels. I don't know if the yeast I'm searching for flocculates low, low-medium, medium, medium-high or high.

I have to sign up and sign in to get in touch with Wyeast via their website.

Is it just me, or are other brewers disliking the search function on Wyeasts website?

Rant over.

I'm totally with you. It's been addressed before.

It must be part of dumbing everything down. For some reason every website needs to contain tiles or icons anymore. A sheer (vertical) list with the items apparently won't do it anymore.

Not sure if this pertains to most people, or only to those with some intelligence, I can browse a (sorted) list in an eyeblink. But I need to spend much more time scrolling through a screen full of useless tiles. They are also not arranged vertically but horizontally, which makes it even more difficult and time consuming and requires evaluating more elements to arrive at your destination.

At least for the time being it looks I've switched to White Labs. This may not be purely coincidental.

I see what you mean. The top search works fine. The search in the yeast doesn't really work. I guess I just scroll to the yeast I'm looking for since it is numerical.

Actually I think it is easier to find yeast now.

Nope, just went there, typed 3711 in the search box and it went right to French Saison.

Two search boxes, giving different results. The search box under Yeast Strains for Beer gives me "Sorry, no results found".

Tried the search under beers. Hmmm. sorry no results found.

As to the tiles. It requires more scrolling but???

I don't find it bad enough that it would drive me away..... Not that I use the site more than a couple of times a year, though.

Latest posts

Back