Anyone brewed an IPA with EKG ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, an all EKG brew is perfect for an English IPA. It's aroma is often what makes the most noticeable distinction between IPA and a pint of special bitter.

First time I am giving this out :

Dry hopped with Chinook, other than that , all East Kent Goldings, Chinook is a distantly related cultivar of the Petham Golding

GABF Pro AM -Gold Medal
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 5/16/2007
Style: English IPA Brewer: Christopher Bowen
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 5.72 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: My Equipment
Actual Efficiency: 69.96 %

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 48.0
Best of show at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival - ProAM catagory, Silver medal at the AHA regional , Gold medal at the Kona Beer Festival 2008

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.13 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.58 %
6.4 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
5.4 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.84 %
1.25 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.062 SG (1.050-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM (8.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 33.1 IBU (40.0-60.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.10 % (5.00-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.26 %
Actual Calories: 257 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Full Body
Mash Grain Weight: 11.61 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 2.03 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.63 gal of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 90 min
Mash Out Add 1.45 gal of water and heat to 180.0 F over 2 min 180.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.2-2.7 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 3.8 oz Temperature at Bottling: 60.0 F
Primer Used: 3.5 Age for: 2.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 58.0 F

I made a really nice English IPA with EKG. Recipe is:

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound torrified wheat
1 pound victory malt
8 ounces crystal 80L

1 ounce EKG 60 minutes
1 ounce EKG 30 minutes
1 ounce EKG 15 minutes
1 ounce EKG 5 minutes

London ESB yeast Wyeast 1968 (big starter)

OG 1.050
FG 1.012 (was shooting more for 1.016)

I haven't tried that. I'm not a style nazi (well, maybe I am :D................) but I like British malts with British hops, for a more authentic English IPA.

Torrified wheat is an unmodified wheat that has been "popped" to open the kernels. Like popcorn, but with wheat. If you can't find it, you could probably use wheat malt, or flaked wheat.

If only i had seen yooper's EGK EIPA sooner...

i brewed an english IPA on saturday and followed Jamil's recipe for it, with one modification.

12.25 lbs english pale malt
8 oz wheat malt
8 oz biscuit
8 oz caramel 40L
6 oz caramel 120L

1.25 oz galena (10.1 aa) 60 min
1.80 oz fuggles (4.6 aa) 10 min
1.80 oz EKG (4.4 aa) 0 min

the original recipe called for challenger for the 60 min addition, but i had galena on hand and went with it as my bittering. Listen to the Jamil show's English IPA episode for more info on it if you want.

Yooper - is there any reason you don't dry hop your one ?
Would it be too much if I dry hopped with 1oz EKG for 10 days ?

Well, it's because of the English IPA style guidelines. You want hop flavor, but you do want the balance between malt/hops. English IPAs, while hoppy, have a malt presence and much less "in your face" hop character than American IPAs. A much more balanced ale than an American IPA.

You can certainly dryhop it, though. I just chose not to, and I really liked it.

Am I on crazy pills? Is everyone else missing this?........

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 48.0
Best of show at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival - ProAM catagory, Silver medal at the AHA regional , Gold medal at the Kona Beer Festival 2008

I would say it would be pretty hard to beat this recipe.....

Way to go Bowenz!! (2 years later)

I have a local brewery here in STL called Schlafly that makes a nice seasonal IPA with all EKG. I say go for it!

I think I'll be brewing MrBowenz recipe at some point as well...

Thank you , it's a nice IPA my LHBS was selling as a kit either AG, or extract . Chinook isn't your typical English ingredient, but it works as a dry hop. There are many good English IPA recipes, Yooper's looks great as well .

As mentioned before, refined hop flavor and a hefty malt/biscut backbone help , your water will determine your sucess , look for a Burton on Trent profile, or somthing close. My personal opinion of tasting great beer, is not to underestimate aroma, people taste with their noses first , it's often overlooked by all brewers ( pro or homebrewers ).

I thought everyone was more into Yoop's because of the easy measurements. How do people come up with the crazy measurements on these recipes? I'm sure it tastes great, but 1.25oz of this 5.4oz of that - even if you convert it to a percentage of something it comes out weird like 8.3 percent or something like that.

-OCD

well, i don't know about the rest of the people here, but one reason my recipe was 1.25 oz was a product of my system more than anything. To get 7 gallons down to 5.5 gallons using a 10.1% hop meant that i needed 1.25 oz of bitter hop. Not sure about the other recipes, but given the awards, i wouldn't question it.

I thought everyone was more into Yoop's because of the easy measurements. How do people come up with the crazy measurements on these recipes? I'm sure it tastes great, but 1.25oz of this 5.4oz of that - even if you convert it to a percentage of something it comes out weird like 8.3 percent or something like that.

-OCD

A good question, it mostly comes from trial and error , refining a recipe takes several batches, and mostly the system, mine is tuned into repeatability https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/savant-systems-1400-a-55696/ , meaning I will adjust quanities to where I feel satisfied to say " I have a recipe I can rely on" now let's improve it . That's where you can experiment into the small changes and tweaks . Also having a good brewing software program , I use Beersmith, but any of the popular ones will give you a leg up . After that , it comes down to perception, because everyone has different tastes. And don't forget .....Water has the almost the biggest impact on minor differences, assuming you get everything else correct .

That's a great reason - scaling; wouldn't have thought of that (obviously I didn't). Guess I either pictured someone totally crazy brewing thousands of batches and saying to himself, hmmm just .1 more ounces of XXXX would make this a killer brew; or some demented brewer taking numbers outta thin air. Yes, I've played with brew software and can come up with crazy numbers I suppose. So far I've been a rounder when it comes to the decimals and ingredients.

Edit: mrbowenz snuk in a post while I wrote mine. NICE SYSTEM - I am grouping together the parts for something a little less ambitious, hopefully I can get to that brewing level one day too. I have yet to brew the same beer twice let alone make fractional ounce adjustments.

-OCD

i punched this into beersmith, and got 49IBU's. yours states 33, any idea on the difference?

congrats on the GBAF. I might be brewing this in spring.

how close would subbing Rahr white wheat for torrified wheat be?

i punched this into beersmith, and got 49IBU's. yours states 33, any idea on the difference?

congrats on the GBAF. I might be brewing this in spring.

how close would subbing Rahr white wheat for torrified wheat be?

Check the hop AA , when you add hops to the recipe , you can adjust the AA input , there is a default , but I may have been using older hops than yours and overrided the default imput , you can adjust the AA loss over time in the imput too .

White wheat would work just fine , at these levels, it was added for body .

Thanks and good brewing !

What temp did you mash at, mrbowenz? Your strike water doesn't seem hot enough for the standard Beersmith full body mash of 158. This looks like one I'd like to try!

sorry, i forgot to mention I was using 5% (ok, 4.9%....)

thanks for the wheat info!

2oz of 4.9% goldings give me 33 IBU's alone.

it might be my method, i use Tinseth. Garetz gives me 31 IBU's. Rager gives me 55.

EDIT: NOPE! i figured it out. you selected "aroma hop", which doesn't add any IBUs to the total. a 30 minute boil of 1/2 oz of 5% AA gives me 6.4 IBU's. 1.5oz at 10 min gives me 9.

Here's what I've got so far, didn't modify the grainbill but I only have Willamette and Fuggle on hand. Think a mixed addition at 15 and 0 is better or all Willamette at one and Fuggle the other?

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.91 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.73 %
6.4 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.44 %
5.4 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.92 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [StaYeast-Ale

I just made this rye english IPA. I think the rye compliments the english hops. This is for a 5.5 gallon batch.

6.5 lb American 2-row
6 lb Marris otter
2 lb flaked rye
14.5 oz 40l Crystal
5 oz 10l Crystal
5.5 oz Munich

.5 oz Kent Gold 4.5% 60 min
1 oz northern brewer 8.5% 60min
.5 oz fuggle 4.8% 45min
.5 oz fuggle 4.8% 30 min
.25 oz fuggle 4.8% 15min
.25 oz kent gold 4.5% 15min
.5 oz fuggle (aroma)
.5 oz kent gold (aroma)
1.25 oz kent gold dry hop

Mashed @ 152 degrees. Fermented on Wyesat London ESB yeast.
This beer drinks really nice, the balance is spot on. It's not overly bitter like an american pale ale, there is malt flavor followed by a nice spicy bitterness. May increase the rye next time.

brewing an ESB this weekend, but then I'm gonna harvest the yeast (Thames Valley II) and make mrbowenz's award-winning IPA!

only mod will be using us goldings for everything.

excited!

...your water will determine your sucess , look for a Burton on Trent profile, or somthing close....

I've been looking to make an English-sytle IPA for some time and I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm planning to make it just as mrbowenz posted. However, I'm a little unsure of the water.

I build my water for each batch, but I've yet to use a Burton water profile, and I'm a little hesitant to do it. It just seems so extreme. I'll take mrbowenz word for it, but am still curious if anyone has actually used the full Burton profile?

I've been looking to make an English-sytle IPA for some time and I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm planning to make it just as mrbowenz posted. However, I'm a little unsure of the water.

I build my water for each batch, but I've yet to use a Burton water profile, and I'm a little hesitant to do it. It just seems so extreme. I'll take mrbowenz word for it, but am still curious if anyone has actually used the full Burton profile?

mb2696, how did this turn out? I'm thinking about doing this recipe for my first english IPA.

I say go for it. I don't have much experience with goldings or english beers, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I like it. It's a nice change of pace from american-style ipas.

Also, I was afraid to try the full on burton profile, so went with tasty mcdole's APA profile (and no chalk per ajdelange).

Hope my recipe for English IPA turns out well for you , I just spent the last five days in Burton on Trent, England I was giving a talk to senior members CAMRA on English IPA's and discovering the practices of brewing with BOT water. I learned more than I could have imagined, and got into the belly of true British brewing traditions....fantastic stuff.

Well, I started brewing MrB's recipe last Saturday morning but during the mash I came down with the flu :eek:. Had to bail. Hours later I mustered up the strength to dump it and clean up. So today its back to the LHBS to pick up more grains and I'll try again this weekend.

Anyway I do have a question - my normally awesome LHBS doesn't carry Chinook, any suggestions for a substitute on the dry hop?

Successful brew day this time, but still wondering about the dry hop - LHBS does not carry Chinook. They suggest Columbus for a substitute. Will that be ok?

Well, I started brewing MrB's recipe last Saturday morning but during the mash I came down with the flu :eek:. Had to bail. Hours later I mustered up the strength to dump it and clean up. So today its back to the LHBS to pick up more grains and I'll try again this weekend.

Anyway I do have a question - my normally awesome LHBS doesn't carry Chinook, any suggestions for a substitute on the dry hop?

sorry to hear, i've been there before. luckily i was almost done. but carrying a full carboy downstairs to the basement was....tricky when you have no energy.

Successful brew day this time, but still wondering about the dry hop - LHBS does not carry Chinook. They suggest Columbus for a substitute. Will that be ok?

Of course you can use Columbus, I am out of Chinook at the moment or I would post some to you. Give the Columbus a try or even Amarillo.

Hope you are feeling better!

Back