Any of you ever met a hop you didn't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i think i dont like hallertau this is why.
I just tapped a pumkin ale today that used hallertau as the aroma hop and i just dont like the after taste. But im thinking that it may be because on my second all-time all-grain batch i made a irish red clone and just thought it was bland so I dryhopped it with some hallertau I had laying around (which in my noobness seemed like a good idea) from a wheat beer I had done so...this maybe the reason i dont like it but i think i just dont like Hallertau as a stand alone hop.
Do any of you have a hop you just dont like?

p.s. I believe ill just sit on this keg for a while and let it mellow.

I don't like any of the citrusy hops, cascade, amarillo, citra, etc...
IMHO, grapefruit flavours don't belong in my beer. But I do love the Goldings hops, both US & EKG. Regards, GF.

Glad I read this thread...I've never used Summit, but was planning a all Summit IPA with about 3-4oz of Summit throughout and then dry hopped....might have to change my plans. I thought it was supposed to be orange/tangerine flavors. Live and learn.

Fuggles - this hop has it's place in porters but not otherwise. Don't use it as a late hop addition: GRASS!!!

I like chinook - mmmmm grapefruit.

Whatever the heck is in Sierra Nevada torpedo. I like IPAs and everything but that beer gave me bitter beer face.

Likewise for Hercules DIPA. Yugh.

Kaz said:
Glad I read this thread...I've never used Summit, but was planning a all Summit IPA with about 3-4oz of Summit throughout and then dry hopped....might have to change my plans. I thought it was supposed to be orange/tangerine flavors. Live and learn.

I love summit, one of my favorite hops, I have never gotten onion or garlic from it. It variers from person to person what you will hear about it. Might I suggest a small batch with summit to see if you like it or not, or make a hop tea with it.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I love summit, one of my favorite hops, I have never gotten onion or garlic from it. It variers from person to person what you will hear about it. Might I suggest a small batch with summit to see if you like it or not, or make a hop tea with it.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Ya, read some other reviews, and I will still go for it. After all, I have a pound of Summit that I need to use up.

Glad to see all the Summit hatred here. I thought I was in the minority in my hate for that most foul hop.

Not into any of the onion hops so cross off Summit/Citra for sure. I was told Calypso presents like this as well but I have no experience with that one yet.

I don't like Magnum. It's supposedly clean and neutral, but my beers got better when I quit using it. This is a fairly recent dislike. I have drunk (well bought - I didn't drink all of it) close to 100 kegs of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and used to love it, but now don't care much for it, partly because of the magnum used in it.

I don't like Delta either. Perhaps I haven't given it a fair shake, but the two batches I made with it weren't very good.

carp said:
I don't like Magnum. It's supposedly clean and neutral, but my beers got better when I quit using it. This is a fairly recent dislike. I have drunk (well bought - I didn't drink all of it) close to 100 kegs of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and used to love it, but now don't care much for it, partly because of the magnum used in it.

SNPA is Perle and Cascade. Torpedo is Magum, Crystal (I think), and Citra.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

drainbamage said:
Per their website, SNPA does also have Magnum as a bittering hop. You're correct about Torpedo.

You are correct, sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Not loving Citra. I bought 1/2 pound a while back, and brewed an American Wheat with Citra/Amarillo and didn't like it. Recently brewed Dude's LWPA and dry hopped with Citra/Amarillo/Simco, and the Citra absolutely dominated.. it even seemed to change the flavour profile.

Not loving Citra. I bought 1/2 pound a while back, and brewed an American Wheat with Citra/Amarillo and didn't like it. Recently brewed Dude's LWPA and dry hopped with Citra/Amarillo/Simco, and the Citra absolutely dominated.. it even seemed to change the flavour profile.

Yeah, I am finding that using Citra early in the boil allows it to dominate and it is a bit overpowering. When I have used it as a late addition/flameout or dry hopping I have had much better results. I have not had this problem with Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, etc.

Just remembered my hate for fscking sterling.

I can't even begin to describe how awful this hop tastes.

Grass clippings, a big mouthful of cloves, dirt. YuUUUUUUGHHHH!!!!!!!

I've had a few people tell me to be careful when dry hopping with Saaz and other noble hops because of the extreme grassy flavor that takes a while to mellow. Personally I don't like Chinook, except for Arrogant Bastard. I can blindly taste a beer and know it has Chinook because of the raw, harsh bitterness in my throat.

I am definitely of the opinion that Saaz should be boiled for at least 5 minutes, otherwise the grassy flavor will most certainly take a while to mellow.

So i think i dont like hallertau this is why.
I just tapped a pumkin ale today that used hallertau as the aroma hop and i just dont like the after taste. But im thinking that it may be because on my second all-time all-grain batch i made a irish red clone and just thought it was bland so I dryhopped it with some hallertau I had laying around (which in my noobness seemed like a good idea) from a wheat beer I had done so...this maybe the reason i dont like it but i think i just dont like Hallertau as a stand alone hop.
Do any of you have a hop you just dont like?

p.s. I believe ill just sit on this keg for a while and let it mellow.

Neither one of those styles jumps out at me as a great showcase for Hallertau.

I haven't really come across one I haven't liked yet in my own brews. I have an all Citra wheat. That's my favorite. Love Simcoe, Columbus and al that too. Maybe I like cats piss? Heheh. I hear so much hate for Summit. Someone needs to send me some so I can mess with it.

It seems like there may be a genetic aberration that makes some people perceive 'citrus' as tasting like onion and/or piss. Or, maybe those with the aberration are the ones that think it tastes good...who knows...

It seems like there may be a genetic aberration that makes some people perceive 'citrus' as tasting like onion and/or piss. Or, maybe those with the aberration are the ones that think it tastes good...who knows...

Yeah, I've never gotten the whole "cat-piss" comparison for Simcoe either. Cat piss just smells like ammonia, whereas Simcoe smells closer to grapefruit/pine to me (I can't comment on the taste of cat piss ;))

It could be one of those things like how some people think cilantro makes food taste "soapy".

drainbamage said:
Yeah, I've never gotten the whole "cat-piss" comparison for Simcoe either. Cat piss just smells like ammonia, whereas Simcoe smells closer to grapefruit/pine to me (I can't comment on the taste of cat piss ;))

It could be one of those things like how some people think cilantro makes food taste "soapy".

You are starting a whole other subject but I do find it quite interesting. Cantaloupe makes me want to gag for example. Surely I don't taste what others taste there.

My Nelson Sauvin IPA I made. I cracked one and thought it was kinda garlicky. Next one I cracked it seemed more dank. Maybe it depends on what else you have been drinking / eating too.

Cluster for some reason, its not particualy high in AAs but i dont particularly care for most brews ive had (including one of my homebrew batches) with them included

I don't care for columbus. They are just too pugnent to me.

I'm with you on this one. I think I remember reading an interview with Jamie from Ninkasi wherein he said he hated columbus and they should just never be used. But their Maiden the Shade uses a lot of columbus so never say never, right?

RCCOLA said:
Sorry, Beez, I'll get to it soon. Been busy...

Now get back to the other forum where you belong!

Heheh all good. I just come on here to troll a bit ;)

I can't stand fuggles. They taste like dirt. I usually like earthy flavors just not that one apparently.

I also have never tasted cat-piss in a beer. Although Simcoe comes across like green onions to me. Citra smells similar until added to the beer. Then it is all grapefruit and mango.

Summit on the way Beez. 1.5oz. FOC.

Drinking one of the beers I brewed with it awhile back. Its faded from "hippie armpit" to "bong scrapings"

I was just going to post the same thing!!!!!!!

Here's my experience with that nasty stuff....made a beer that tasted like mosquito repellent.

Here's one of my descriptions of the beer.

I absolutely love that in that description you made it clear that it was like the knockoff of lemon pledge, not the actual lemon pledge. :D

I'm totally with you. I really wonder if there's something genetic that makes different people experience Simcoe in profoundly different ways. I have never experienced anything remotely resembling cat piss with Simcoe, I also know that a good many people really do experience that. The other option, I suppose, is that some really funky Simcoe out there really does taste/smell like cat piss, and I've just been lucky and not encountered any of the bad stuff.

I've been wondering about the Simcoe thing too. I've enjoyed it personally and had an all Simcoe pale ale get third in a comp. Like the above thoughts, maybe it's an issue like people have with certain foods.

To the people that find it cat pissy, was it with pellets, whole, or did it matter? I always use whole hops which is why I ask. I was wondering if maybe it doesn't handle processing well. Just a WAG.

Back