Any Ideas for Copper Screen Uses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
I just came upon some copper screen and am trying to think of something to make from it that might actually be useful. It's some heavy stuff...a 3'x6' piece weighs about 8 pounds. I'd estimate the grid spacing to be pretty similar to a screen door...not too small, but not massively porous.

Anybody have any ideas? Otherwise it goes to the scrap dealer.

Build a faraday cage to ...um...protect your beer for EMI?

Or, make a faraday cage passport wallet to protect against identity theft if you have one of the idiotic new RFID Passports. That's not really beer related though.

Since copper is so maluable, you could get some lead-free plumbing solder and make a bunch of sure-screen or bazooka screen strainers and sell them to folks on this forum. The sure screen is too small for hop straining duties and the bazooka screen is pricey and requires 1/2" pipe coupling. I would actually be interested in buying a copper strainer about the size of the bazooka but cheaper and sans pipe fitting.

Funny you mention the Faraday cage. The screen came from am EMI shielded room we just tore down at work. I should have kept the door and walls and put up my own little tin-foil hat making factory in my basement.

I was thinking bazooka screen type strainers, but after looking at this a little more I'm not sure it would work well. This stuff is heavy, but soft. When you bend it it stays with very little bounce back. I'd be afraid that it would get flattened pretty easily if you were to hit it while stirring. Then again, I don't know how strong a stainless bazooka is.

Good point. We were looking into this yesterday. I'm 95% sure it's 100% copper. Everywhere we cut or ripped the screen the ends looked like pure copper under the microscope. However, there were a few screens that had some of the galvanized steel corner supports rub up against them during disassembly and the scraped area looked silverish. I think it was just some of the galvanized material rubbing off onto the copper, but I'm still 5% uncertain.

Back