Any fail safe hoppy ipa recipes grain &extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumaKeg

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just brewed my first batch of beer this weekend using grain and extract. Can't wait to start my next. Any recipe ideas for a nubie? I like hoppy ipa but looking for a fail safe recipe that will satisfy all my buddies that I'm trying to get into brewing. Thanks in advance.

Ps brewing in 20-25 liter batches

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cheers,ill check them out and let you know.

Just did Hop Cult from Midwest supplies. Don't like Midwest supplies much but the beer turned out very well and was really easy

Thanks for the tip off. I'm living in Ireland, would those kits be available here? I could just try to copy it using supplies from the local brew shop.

If you want a big IIPA with an intense hop nose, try the one in my recipe drop down - Bitchin' Dippah - or click the link in my sig for the Big Jim Walker (same beer but with a PG name).

Just posted the recipe challenge. its more of a i got this in the cupboard and don't wanna break the bank to brew some brew some beer cause the wife will give me grief brew. would your recipe lend itself to adaptation? It's a pretty cool name for a beer don't ya think? Ps don't tell the wife will be the sequel beer!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6088485

Sure you could adapt it, make it your own with what you've got on hand. Magnum works great for bittering, and Cascade, Perle, and Citra all make good flavor and aroma hops. I just posted a recipe to your other thread, take a peek.

My vote is for the Dead Ringer as well. I'm not a hop-head by any means, but it's been one of my favs to drink. Can't get safer than that.

Thanks for all the advice but i took boydster's n the end and made up my own. See below. 27/28g =1oz. Us Connemara boys can't do the imperial math that easily. Should be real hoppy and if my ( the Internet) calculations are right it should finish at about 5%abv. All comments welcome.

DrumaKeg Minion IPA

500g light caramel malt 60
55g crystal malt 120
3.82kg light dme muntons
28g magnum@60mins
28g pearle @20mins
15g Irish moss
27g citra@ 10mins
27g citra @ flameout
27g pearle @ flameout
Safale-US-05 yeast

Steeped grains for 35 mins @ 68c

OG 1056

It's a little high on the crystal malts for my taste, I like to keep those under 10% for an IPA so the hops really shine. That's a personal preference though. The Citra looks like it'll be the star of the show, and it's a nice hop to feature. Enjoy! :mug:

Should have mentioned that this was a 23l batch so I upped all the ingredients a bit.

Back