Any Definitive Answere for Condioning Temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
I've searched the board, I've read Revvys bottling thread, I know what my recipe says and they all say different things....

A few threads i found in the board cite books saying to put them in the fridge or in a cool dark place. Revvy says store in a warm dark place. My recipe says keep in the same place as i was fermenting for a week and then move to a fridge.

any definitive answer to this?

right now i boxed up my first batch and have it sitting in the spare room. room temp is about 70 constantly maybe 1 degree cooler or warmer.

You'll be fine leaving them where they are until they're carbed up. From there, either refridgerate or leave them where they are. There is no wrong answer here.

Yes the definitive answer is 3 weeks at 70 minimum, for most medium grav beers....that's why we say it over and over and over, when people who "keep in the same place as i was fermenting for a week and then move to a fridge." Start a "My beer isn't carbed yet" thread :D

Then when they take them out of the fridge and leave them alone for another two weeks, they usually then post back..."Hey guess what my beer is carbed now, THANKS!" In that thread. ;)

So it's your choice...do you want you beer carbed in a reasonable time, or do you want to come back and ask why your beer isn't carbed.

I really don't know what else you want....That's what works for us, THAT's why we say to do it...not to torture you noobs by preventing you from having your beer. :)

I didn't just pull that out of my butt...it;s what works.

I know you want to hear the magic 1 week and it's carbed answer, but really that doesn't exist. (Believe me, if I could invent the magic wand to do so, I would. I don't like to wait anymore than anyone else does.)

:mug:

I've searched the board, I've read Revvys bottling thread, I know what my recipe says and they all say different things....

A few threads i found in the board cite books saying to put them in the fridge or in a cool dark place. Revvy says store in a warm dark place. My recipe says keep in the same place as i was fermenting for a week and then move to a fridge.

any definitive answer to this?

right now i boxed up my first batch and have it sitting in the spare room. room temp is about 70 constantly maybe 1 degree cooler or warmer.

Put them in a place that is warm enough for the yeast to continue fermenting for ~ 3 weeks.

Basically, same guidelines as regular fermentation, but higher temp ranges since it's such a small amount of fermentation you don't have to worry as much about off flavors. Avoid large temperature swings, just like in fermentation.

I personally bottle, and leave them next to my fermenting area. I have a cold water bath for the fermenters that I don't use for the bottles, obviously, so it's a little warmer than when fermenting (but then again the yeast are producing a bit less heat since it's not as much fermentation), so it may even out.

Don't worry too much about it :mug:

Back