Any Bluegrass or Folk Fans Out There?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Haunted Windchimes ladies and gentleman!

Willy Tea Taylor blows me away

Last edited by a moderator:
Buster Blue was a band I kind of forgot about a year or two until I recently heard them on a bluegrass/folk radio station.

A nice acoustic performance, although without their standard craziness! This one's off their most recent EP.

And apparently they crashed at someone's house while on tour, and ended up playing a few songs for them?

Another big bump for yonder mountain string band and especially my favorite:

The String Cheese Incident

Cornmeal is an up and comer on the jamgrass scene too, oh and can't forget about Hot Buttered Rum too

If you haven't already, I urge you to check out The Infamous Stringdusters! These boys are seriously raising the bar every night they play. It's rooted in bluegrass but with a progressive/jam element and some out-of-this-world improvisation. By far the tightest bluegrass outfit on the scene IMO.

You won't be disappointed!

BassBeer said:
If you haven't already, I urge you to check out The Infamous Stringdusters! These boys are seriously raising the bar every night they play. It's rooted in bluegrass but with a progressive/jam element and some out-of-this-world improvisation. By far the tightest bluegrass outfit on the scene IMO.

You won't be disappointed!

They are great man, easily one of my favorites!

atimmerman88 said:
Another big bump for yonder mountain string band and especially my favorite:

The String Cheese Incident

Cornmeal is an up and comer on the jamgrass scene too, oh and can't forget about Hot Buttered Rum too

Hot buttered rum is one of the first I heard about when I started looking for new bluegrass groups. So good!

I've got a pretty big Spotify playlist going if anyone uses that for music. I'll post the link in a bit when I get back to my computer. I'm always adding to it, but its around 1200 songs now.

cdubbaya said:
They are great man, easily one of my favorites!

Hot buttered rum is one of the first I heard about when I started looking for new bluegrass groups. So good!

I've got a pretty big Spotify playlist going if anyone uses that for music. I'll post the link in a bit when I get back to my computer. I'm always adding to it, but its around 1200 songs now.

That's be awesome! I use spotty at work quite a bit, especially when my iPod dies

Cool thread. I been diggin on these PA boys:

Oh yes. My buddies have a six piece band going right now. There was also just an awesome festival here last weekend. That was A LOT of fun.

The Giving Tree Band! Great group, incredibly talented.

And a Grateful Dead cover:

arturo7 said:
Hate to be negative on such a cool thread, but these guys should tune their instruments before they hit the record button.

Nothing negative there, I was thinking the same.

I have a local NC bluegrass CD that I love to blast when I drive through the mountains of WV. Good stuff.

Caught this guys at the Station Inn in Nashville last month. The fiddle player is a student at Julliard!

Head For The Hills - I've never seen anything from them live before, but this is a nice little jam video!

Any body in the MN area, my friends band is playing at the Fine Line on the 28th. they are now a six piece band. They just picked up a slide key player, a fiddle player and a stand up bass.

Any body in the MN area, my friends band is playing at the Fine Line on the 28th. they are now a six piece band. They just picked up a slide key player, a fiddle player and a stand up bass.

Awesome! What's the name of their band? I'll check them out!

Awesome! What's the name of their band? I'll check them out!

Ginstrings. They only have one or two live flicks on YouTube and that was a year ago when there was only three of them. Lemme know if you wanna try and come out!

squatch said:
That is a great little place. I saw Town Mountain at the Station Inn on January 11. It was so relaxed, low-key, and awesome. That's how I like to listen to live music.

I was there that night!!!

There are some GREAT suggestions on here. I'll be checking out some of these folks here ASAP.

I do have to brag, though...last night we got to go to a taping of Mountain Stage (an NPR show). We got to see Larry Keel, The Downhill Strugglers, Lunasa, aaaaannnnnnnd....ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL. Wheeeee! What a good time. I feel so lucky to live where I can just about go in any direction and find music that I love. One of my goals this summer is to go to the Carter Family Fold. I can't believe I've lived here for five years and haven't made it yet...

Not your traditional bluegrass band, but Caravan of Thieves is an amazing group. I personally enjoy the Gypsy Steampunk groups like Gogol Bordello and The Peculiar Pretzelmen, but these guys are blending strings, horns, percussion, etc. to make a great sound!

Check them out! Also, you have to watch the whole thing. There is a violin/percussion solo near the end that is incredible!

Americana - David Bromberg and Big Band. Bluegrass with horn section, or Blues with fiddles.

North Americana - Natalie MacMaster

For fun -Yonder Mountain

They were only around for a couple of years, but probably responsible for introducing Bluegrass to more people than anyone in recorded history.

Old and in the Way (nuff said)

Back