Anvil Foundry, going to 240.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
I saw different videos on how to cut your cord or how you could make a jumper. Couldn't I just use something like a camper power connector? Like this?
1000000875.jpg

What type of outlet do you plan to use for your 240V supply, and what kind of plug is on the Foundry cord now? The adapter you show plugs into a NEMA TT-30 outlet, but most three prong dryer outlets are NEMA 10-30, and the two are not compatible. Also, what will you be doing to get GFCI protection on the 240V circuit?

Brew on :mug:

If I use a normal 30 amp 2 pole breaker and run wire to an outlet and use one of these will it work?
1000000876.jpg

Nah, you don't need one of those (which is just a big MOV in a plastic case).
You want a GFCI breaker in that circuit, either in the panel or using an in-line GFCI cable...

Cheers!

That is not a GFCI. A "surge" protector is for protecting equipment from voltage spikes on the power lines. Surge protectors do nothing to reduce your chances of electrocution.

If you are installing a new circuit, you should not use the NEMA TT-30 plug/receptacle combo, as they are only approved for travel trailer/RV use. For a 30A circuit, you should use either a NEMA 10-30 (three wire) or NEMA 14-30 (four wire) plug/receptacle. Personally, I'd go with the 14-30, as you have more flexibility in what can be plugged into it. Standalone 240V/30A GFCIs are very expensive. You are better off putting a GFCI breaker in the service panel.

Brew on :mug:

Back