Anti-Hunter bias in Disney Films...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony4444

Reaction score
So I've been watching a ton of Disney films with my daughter lately, and have noticed some startling patterns. For instance 9 times out of 10, the villain is a white male hunter-what's up with that?

Also, I was watching Robin Hood the other day, and when the Sheriff locked up all the town's folk, the only animals wearing prison stripes were coons. Subtle racism? Hmmmm

Oh, and they always kill off the mother, almost every movie the main characters mom gets wiped out. Why for the love of god WHY?

Regarding the hunter-villainy: since many of the heroes are cute woodland animals, it makes sense that hunters would be seen as the bad guys I guess. As far as the raccoon prisoners, maybe becuase they have natural "masks" around their eyes and look kind of bank-robber-ey? I don't know; I don't know enough about ol' Walt to know if he was a hater or not.

Also, I was watching Robin Hood the other day, and when the Sheriff locked up all the town's folk, the only animals wearing prison stripes were coons. Subtle racism? Hmmmm
Racism? No, more like specie-ism. Raccoons are known thieves.
Any idea of racism comes from the beholder.

So I've been watching a ton of Disney films with my daughter lately, and have noticed some startling patterns. For instance 9 times out of 10, the villain is a white male hunter-what's up with that?

Oh, and they always kill off the mother, almost every movie the main characters mom gets wiped out. Why for the love of god WHY?

You didn't think they would show Bambie getting splattered on an interstate highway by a GMC pickup truck did you?

Really, these movies do set up a certain idea of what good and evil is, and it's far from the truth. I like the way they do it in Harry Potter...the villain isn't always who you think it is...much closer to reality.

It's common knowledge that Disney movies are anti-hunting. Maybe it's because the main characters as often animals, but it's a fact that Walt himself was against hunting. I suppose the critters he knew as a kid could talk to him and tell him how terrifying it really was or something.

I dislike the way that hunters are usually portrayed as evil, bloodthirsty, madmen. I know many, many hunters (most of the people in my area hunt) and none of them are like that. I'm sure that there are some hunters in the area that don't always follow the rules, but the ones I know respect the wildlife and actually encourage wildlife habitat. They hunt as humanely as reasonable and try to make the kill as quick and painless as possible.

I guess Disney prefers to focus on the "Bubbas".

Really, these movies do set up a certain idea of what good and evil is, and it's far from the truth. I like the way they do it in Harry Potter...the villain isn't always who you think it is...much closer to reality.

Umm, isn't the villian always "he who must not be named" aka Tom Riddle, aka Lord Voldemort

You'd be surprised at how many tree-hugging hippies don't know how to treat their environment. I guess they're too stoned to realize they are hypocrits.

Everyone thinks that metalheads are all Beavis and Butthead idiots that trash every place they go to and throw empty beer cans in the streets. I've found that most metalheads are courteous, environmentally-conscious individuals. Weird but true. The sleazy hard rock idiots are less aware of (or care less about) their impact.

Same thing with hunters. MOST OF THEM have great respect for the environment they are in, the animals they are hunting, the firearms they carry and the people around them.

So, basically, F*CK DISNEY. If I want to distract my kid, I'll take them hunting.

Umm, isn't the villian always "he who must not be named" aka Tom Riddle, aka Lord Voldemort

That's the ultimate villain, but you never know who is working for him. There is always some spy. And then there is Snape...is Snape a bad guy? Not necessarily...he just isn't very nice. I prefer to show kids the truth...some things are pretty obvious, others are more complicated. Don't judge people by simple perceptions.

Good:

infoglenda.jpg

Bad:

witch.jpg

Bad = Ugly

What the f*ck is a raccon doing in Sherwood Forest anyway!!!! Robin Hood is set in the 13th century. All those North American animals suddenly invented trans-atlantic critter-ships?

Woodsman in Snow White goes against the Evil Queen's commands and does not kill Snow White. So the male Hunter is not a villian; the female Queen is.

Cinderella: Step Mother is villian.

101 Dalmations: Cruella DeVille and two bumbling henchmen (not hunters as far as I could tell).

Bambi: well, its a story about a deer. Mommy deers do get killed by hunters.

Dumbo: the Ringmaster a hunter?

Bugs Bunny: Elmer Fudd as an incompetent white male hunter.... oh wait, that's Warner Bros.

High School Musical: no hunters in any of the 3.

Pocahontas, Mulan, many others don't have hunters at all.

So just what 9 Disney movies have you seen that have evil, white, male hunters (as opposed to evil-white-male hunters ;) )? If it is not an evil stepmother, seems more likely to me to be an evil property developer or business tycoon of some sort.

Snow White: Evil Witch - Ugly (even the queen has pointy eyebrows)
Cinderalla: Step Mother and Sisters - Ugly
101 dalmations: Cruella is pretty damn ugly
Bambi: Well...um...the hunters feet were dirty, right? :cross:
Dumbo: There we could get into racism...those crows are awesome

But, yeah, in Disney...evil=ugly.

I'm assuming in that (I had to google, never seen it...i swear!), it's the mean popular bitches that are the villains and they are usually overcome by the ugly and/or less popular girls becoming mean bitches themselves. Great examples we set for our children.

It all started with Grease. But in HSM, the good girl didn't have to get mean to win: she just had to learn to tell the truth and be herself. So it was OK in that regard.

So, basically, F*CK DISNEY. If I want to distract my kid, I'll take them hunting.

+1,000,000,000

Disney can suck my ass. For them, it's not ok to let children know the truth of the world (that cheeseburger you ate didn't grow from the ground) but it's ok to teach kids that kicking and punching the **** out of your opponent is appropriate (Kim Possible, Power Rangers, etc).

Not all Disney movies, granted, but the tone is there in a lot of them as in Iron Giant with the whole "guns are bad. Guns kill." line after the towering robot sends the maladroit hunter packing. :rolleyes:

After 50 years of Disney personifying animals as cute, cuddly sentient beings that are far-removed from their wild realities, it's no wonder you hear about a woman being mauled by some idiot's pet chimp. 'cause they're cute and cuddly, right? No wild instincts whatsoever. :rolleyes:

My kids have of course watched the disney movies, but they have also gone hunting with dad and participated in the entire process.

We have freezer full of venison, and they eat it at least twice a week.

Back