Another winner from AHS in the making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunthert

Reaction score
It was a sad day when my AHS Double Chocolate Stout, beloved by friends and family alike, gasped its last on Saturday night.

However, I just finished racking the AHS Oaked Porter into the keg from the secondary, where it had sat on the oak cubes for 10 days after 17 days in primary (I would have racked to secondary sooner, but we were on vacation and 2 weeks would have been too long on the oak). A quick sip of the FG sample seems to indicate another fan favorite is on the way.

Pressurized the keg just a bit to purge the O2 and ensure a good seal. I'm going to give it a few more weeks to condition before force carbing and tapping. Good thing I have the Texas Blonde and Imperial Agave Wit on tap already. :mug:

i bought that kit a while back -- they used to ship it with a pound of lactose -- i thougth that was way too much. other than that, it was pretty good. i'd brew it again with about a quarter of the lactose

How do you like the AHS Texas Blonde? What version did you make?

I made the mini-mash version of the Texas Blonde and it is quite nice. The beer has more of a hop character than I was expecting, which is nice.

bdupree - No lactose in the liquid mini-mash version I did.

trevor - The Blonde is very good. I made the extract version, based on the staff rec. They said it was one of the few recipes that turned out better from the extract than mini-mash. They also suggested adding an ounce of lemon grass to the last 5 minutes of the boil. I only added about 2/3 of an ounce since I didn't want it too strong and the lemon grass is extremely subtle. Not a lot of hop character to mine. Wonder why they're different?

Back