Another Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERR

Reaction score
This is my first batch of beer, and I don't know how to tell when secondary fermentation is complete. There is a layer of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, but I also dry hopped. Will that affect how long it should stay in the carboy? I have time this weekend to bottle the beer, but I don't want to do it if it's not ready.

Thanks.

ERR said:
This is my first batch of beer, and I don't know how to tell when secondary fermentation is complete. There is a layer of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, but I also dry hopped. Will that affect how long it should stay in the carboy? I have time this weekend to bottle the beer, but I don't want to do it if it's not ready.

Thanks.

Dry hopping (to my knowledge) would have no effect on the yeast. How long has it been in the secondary? If it is around 2 weeks or so i would say you are fine. In my experience (although limited and not nearly as expansive as some of the other guys) it does not seem to need to be an exact science when you bottle.

The yeast will still be active in the bottles for a couple more weeks. If it looks like it is still very active in the secondary, I would say wait.

It's been in there one week, so far. The airlock is bubbling pretty infrequently. I haven't timed it, but it is well over at least one minute between. I did take a SG reading at the time I was transferring to the carboy.

If you have a thief, take another SG reading now, and if you've reached your target then it's pretty much your call. Or, wait another week and be sure...depends on if you're in a hurry or not.

This is the secondary fermentation? I usually transfer from primary to secondary after the bubbles are about 45-60 seconds apart. Your beer can sit in the secondary for a while. I usually leave mine for 14 days - sometimes a few days longer just because of time constraints.

I usually see little or no bubbling at all when it's in the secondary. I personally believe the longer it sits (within reason) the clearer your beer will be and the cleaner the taste.

Rhoobarb said:
I usually see little or no bubbling at all when it's in the secondary. I personally believe the longer it sits (within reason) the clearer your beer will be and the cleaner the taste.
Words of wisdom! :cool:

Rhoobarb said:
This is the secondary fermentation? I usually transfer from primary to secondary after the bubbles are about 45-60 seconds apart. Your beer can sit in the secondary for a while. I usually leave mine for 14 days - sometimes a few days longer just because of time constraints.

Cool, thanks! I can wait longer, I had just heard conflicting information.

Back