Another Scrap Yard Score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I went to the scarp yard today looking for a stainless commercial sink for my brewing area. Last time I went snooping around there were a lot of stainless tables and such, but no luck this time. Originally they pointed me in a different area than the last time I looked around but as I was walking back I saw the place I'd looked last time.

Good thing I looked around!! Picked up 10 pepsi ball lock kegs for 138 bucks including tax (around 1.55 lb) Of the 10 I grabbed only 1 has any dents, and they were all still under pressure. I think I'll go back tomorrow and dig through the dented ones to see if there are any worth salvaging.

Here they are :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:
IMG_20110104_161549.jpg

IMG_20110104_222546.jpg

IMG_20110104_222530.jpg

Man! Great score! How I wish there was a scrap yard around me I could go scrounge around looking for deals like this.

The sun even shines on a dogs ass somedays!!

Went back this morning to see if there were a couple more that could be salvaged and take some posts and lids for spare parts and came up with another 10 corny's with only a couple having some minor dings :D

Shwing! That's an awesome find, considering that I just talked to the owner of my LHBS and he says this is the last run of ball locks he got at $30 each, he's probably going to raise the price to $40 because of scarcity. So, rock on! I know I am jealous.

Question is, do you need 20 kegs? You gonna sell any of them? If so, I'll pay double what you paid for 2-3 of them! :)

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer...any chance those were used for carpet cleaning chemicals or something that we don't want to drink?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer...any chance those were used for carpet cleaning chemicals or something that we don't want to drink?

its stainless steel, clean really well, replace all o-rings and gaskets and your good to go, unless said chemicals used eat away and created pinhole leaks

-=Jason=-

Question is, do you need 20 kegs? You gonna sell any of them? If so, I'll pay double what you paid for 2-3 of them! :)

Damn right! Shoot, at 26$ a pop I'd take 4 if you were willing to part with that many.

I can get kegs if anyone was willing to pay shipping from AZ $25 a keg and you pay shipping

-=Jason=-

its stainless steel, clean really well, replace all o-rings and gaskets and your good to go, unless said chemicals used eat away and created pinhole leaks

-=Jason=-

I can't get my super ripped arms into the opening with a scrubbie:mug:

They were from the Pepsi Bottling Co here in Cumblous, OH. They all had a hint of soda in them and were still pressurized you could smell the pepsi when I released the pressure valve.

I plan on keeping 8 for myself and selling the other 12 LOCALLY as I don't want to screw around with shipping, sorry for those not located in OH.

Back