Another Pallet Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyLark

C.A.S.K. Jax, FL Media Guru
Reaction score
So, my collar-style keezer that I built from a 70's freezer isn't keeping the beer colder than about 45 degrees, and it's time for a new build. My MIL offered up her 7 cu ft (7.2, I dunno) chest freezer for my next build. I've searched the many builds on here, but given my limited woodworking ability (I'm more of a beer drinker/brewer) I decided to use Brickout's Pallet Keezer as a basis for mine. I'm also employing the ventilation system in dahappycamper's build. The coffin will have one fan harvested from an old desktop computer I have. I added a collar so I could sit a carboy on the hump to lager/cold crash. It could hold 4 cornys easily, but I'm sticking with 3. I haven't gotten too far yet, but here's what I have in work!

20141229_171042.jpg

20141229_171159.jpg

20150103_202413.jpg

20150103_202436.jpg

20150103_202448.jpg

20150103_211047.jpg

Thanks! Here it is with the coffin in-work. Next up, concrete countertop molds. I'm using melamine shelf boards for the molds; I read that concrete won't adhere to it. We'll see! I've never worked with concrete before. I hope my 1/2" air drill is enough to stir it up...

You can see my poor hotrod in the background collecting sawdust as it hibernates all winter, but that's another project.

_4ZI7V5.jpg

Just curious, but are you leaving room around the sides and front of the freezer for air flow? The outer skins of a chest freezer are used to remove the heat generated by the refrigerant lines. If the heated air can't escape, it'll cause the freezer interior to warm up. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if there's ventilation or not.

Just curious, but are you leaving room around the sides and front of the freezer for air flow? The outer skins of a chest freezer are used to remove the heat generated by the refrigerant lines. If the heated air can't escape, it'll cause the freezer interior to warm up. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if there's ventilation or not.

Very good question, and yes, I have a 2" gap surrounding the freezer. Don't want to overheat!

Here's the finished Keezer! The AC adapter I'm using powers both the coffin fan and the bilge fan inside, and it gets pretty hot, but not too hot to touch. I may need to get a second power supply for the bilge fan. How hot is too hot?

20150130_004351.jpg

Looks great, especially for someone who professes to have limited woodworking ability. :mug:

Back