Another notch, First AG today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
Brewed my first AG, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale. My OG was 1.047, a few points below the expected 1.051 using the FlyGuy 10 Gal cooler.

I didn't stir my mash-out water into the grains, other than that have no idea what else I didn't do correctly so felt everything went smooth. My mash temp ended up being 151F, my grains had been in a cooler that morning so might have drug it down slightly.

I ended up just below the 5 gal mark at pitch time, probably close to 4.9 gal, didn't add any top-off water. I kept a close eye on my boil so no boil-overs, didn't use any anti-foam drops either. Not sure about the hot break...I got lots of foam and I would reduce heat just as the foam would crest the top to prevent boil-overs. I ended up with a nice rolling boil just had to keep tweaking it.

Just wanted to thank all at HBT for all the info and inspiration to get me this far. :mug:

Wow, i could write this exact same post next weekend, my first AG will also be EdWorts pale ale. Good to hear it went well, hopefully mine goes the same.

Well, another notch on the old belt. 151, no boil overs, 1.047, not bad for the first go round. Now you know what to tweak. Congrats!

Congrats! Glad to hear everything went smoothly. Planning out the next one yet?

Sure do, Bee Cave Brewery IPA. Keeping it simple with tried and true recipes for my batches until I nail the process down.

Time to go back and watch the Bobby M video's again, learned a lot from them after doing a mini-mash and I'm sure I'll catch something else to improve my efficiency. :mug:

Dude, MikeG, I also did my first AG this Saturday, with the same recipe, also used a 10G round cooler, and also hit below the recipe's OG. Still a lot of fun though I thought! Right OONNN

Congrats MikeG on joining the all grain club.

Get yourself some 5.2 to use in the mash and your efficiency will jump right up. Everyone I have talked to in the ATL area has always had a nice 5-10% increase in efficiency after using 5.2.

Got home today and noticed my temps were around 72 so put it in a bucket of water/ice. The yeasties seem to be having a good old time, looks like a tornado is going off in the carboy.

I'm looking forward to fine tuning with 5.2 and the other stuff I mentioned, looking forward to my new brew on Sat. :mug:

Back