Another ITC Thread. I'm lost and desperate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so here it is. I'm attempting the side by side kegerator/ferm chamber build. Now let me start by saying I've probably read every side by side thread I could find. I've researched weeks daily to understand this build inside and out. We'll a fridge fell into my lap and through almost all of my research out the window. I've paid particular attention to the wiring. So here it is. I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.53632300. As I started taking it apart to begin the build I found that there is only one temperature control. That is for the fridge. And the freezer just controls a damper.
Here is my plan. I have 2 4" computer fans to pull the cold air from the freezer side. Does the second one wire up to the fridge thermostat control the freezer side temp? I'm really confused how this works. I do NOT want to interfere with the defrost circuit at all. I want it to function as normal. I suppose I could just run a Johnson controller to the fridge power line but I want the evap fan to operate like normal as well. Is this possible or am I asking too much? If that is the only answer for it then I want to switch the fridge main power from an ITC so I can have a temp display on the freezer door. I'll run the wiring from the controller and out the side if I have to. Is there anything special. I noticed the ITC's can only switch up to 10amps. The fridge is rated at 6amps so am I good?
Again I'd like to avoid all that and override a thermostat and let the fridge operate normal otherwise.
I attached a pictures to help. I've already contacted Kenmore about schematics and basically they told me to buzz off.
Thanks In Advance. CHEERS

View attachment 1449638319171.jpg

View attachment 1449638350072.jpg

View attachment 1449638373812.jpg

View attachment 1449638386232.jpg

As I started taking it apart to begin the build I found that there is only one temperature control. That is for the fridge. And the freezer just controls a damper.

Are you sure? Is there only one adjustment or are you saying that there is only one temperature probe? I would expect a probe in each location. If there is a damper the freezer would have to be directly cooled and the fridge cooled from the freezer. You can't cool the freezer (colder) with air from the fridge (warmer).

Here is my plan. I have 2 4" computer fans to pull the cold air from the freezer side. Does the second one wire up to the fridge thermostat control the freezer side temp? I'm really confused how this works. I do NOT want to interfere with the defrost circuit at all. I want it to function as normal. I suppose I could just run a Johnson controller to the fridge power line but I want the evap fan to operate like normal as well. Is this possible or am I asking too much?

I'm slightly confused. The fridge as is has a damper (presumably with a fan) and you would like to add additional fans?

If that is the only answer for it then I want to switch the fridge main power from an ITC so I can have a temp display on the freezer door. I'll run the wiring from the controller and out the side if I have to. Is there anything special. I noticed the ITC's can only switch up to 10amps. The fridge is rated at 6amps so am I good?
Again I'd like to avoid all that and override a thermostat and let the fridge operate normal otherwise.
I attached a pictures to help. I've already contacted Kenmore about schematics and basically they told me to buzz off.
Thanks In Advance. CHEERS

Normally a wiring diagram will be located somewhere on a sticker on the fridge itself.

Not at all model specific but I would start by finding the temperature probe/thermostat for each zone and tracing the wires. One wire from the thermostat on the freezer side SHOULD tell the compresses to come on and another for the fans (if there are any) on the freezer side to recirculate. A wire from the thermostat on the fridge side should tell the fans on the fridge to come on and the baffle open. These thermostats are what you will need to wire around with the temp controller. If the fridge section is cooled by the freezer section then your freezer section will always have to be set at a lower temperature.

OK so there are 2 controls. But the only one with a thermostat is the fridge side. The freezer control just opens and closes the air damper by a mechanical linkage. I'm guessing the thermostat for the fridge actually controls the compressor by turning it on when the fridge warms up and the evap fan on the freezer side pushes air through the damper.

As for the fans I replaced the damper with a fan and the fan is going to pull air from the freezer to cool the fridge as needed. I have been unable to locate a wiring diagram. Anywhere on the thing.

OK so there are 2 controls. But the only one with a thermostat is the fridge side. The freezer control just opens and closes the air damper by a mechanical linkage. I'm guessing the thermostat for the fridge actually controls the compressor by turning it on when the fridge warms up and the evap fan on the freezer side pushes air through the damper.

As for the fans I replaced the damper with a fan and the fan is going to pull air from the freezer to cool the fridge as needed. I have been unable to locate a wiring diagram. Anywhere on the thing.

This doesn't make too much since to me design wise. If you open the freezer and the temperature warms up the unit will not cool it back down until the fridgerator side needs cooling? and then may stop cooling the freezer prematurely when the fridge comes to temp?

Anyway, trace some of the wires to determine what turns on the compressor. Attach those to the freezer side temp controller relay. Use a second temp controler on the fridge side and connect the fans to the relay. If you can locate and determine what controls the defrost hook it up in parallel to the freezer temp control relay.

I'm trying to move the temp controls over to the freezer side. The fridge was designed for some reason to only cycle on when the fridge needed to cool. I am wiring it up so it turns on when the freezer needs to cool. The STC on the fridge side will "steal" cool air from the freezer when it needs it via computer fans. Thus warming up the freezer side and triggering the compressor to cool back down the freezer.

Back