Another Beersmith/Hopville set of Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
This is a continuation in the saga of some previous posts that have been very helpful but I'm still having a major discrepency between estimated OG for an identical recipe plugged into beersmith v. hopville.

I have my process in beersmith dialed in (I think) and after converting a recipe from all grain to extract this is the issue -- in beersmith if I use the "extract" type recipe I hit the numbers I am supposed to get pretty much dead balls. OG 1.069 IBUs 43. In Hopville same recipe I get OG 1.090 and IBUs 23. (This recipe has 9 lbs of pale LME, and 1.5 lb 2 row, plus specialty grains.) Looking at beersmith, however, I notice that the LME when I click on it lists "late extract boil time" as "o." That's not right, I'd add it at 10 minutes left or so. If I do that, beersmith now reads same OG but IBUs 97?????

Things also change dramatically in Beersmith if I go from "extract" to "partial mash." As I planned on mashing the grains in a cooler with 155 degree water for 45 minutes I would assume partial mash is the correct setting, right? With partial mash, and setting the LME at 10 minutes boil, beersmith comes in 1.086 OG, IBUs 76, so OG is way high and IBU way high. Change the LME to 60 minute boil, OG same but IBU 33 (low). Why does boiling the LME for 60 minutes (according to BS) lower the IBUs?

I want to say trust beersmith because it allows so many microadjustments to the process and differentiates between extract/partial mash whereas Hopville (as far as I can tell) does not allow for these adjustments. If that instinct is right, I figure I can tweak the recipe in BS to bring down the OG and get the IBUs where I want them, but I am REALLY concerned about the accuracy of both brewing software at this point.

I bought beersmith primarily for converting AG to extract/partial mash. I'm getting frustrated because that doesnt seem to be working out. This is my first attempt at a recipe converted from AG and I would be happy to just brew it and see what happens but with such wide discrepencies I am really concerned about getting a very unbalanced beer. I don't want to brew the batch and have it turn out crap. And even moreso, I want to get an understanding of how to use beersmith to convert all grain recipes, that's why I bought it. Thoughts.... PLEASE?????

Hop utilization is directly related to boil gravity. Higher gravity will lower your hop bitterness/flavor,aroma. That is why boiling the LME for an hour will lower the IBUs. I don't brew with extract, and I don't use Beersmith, but I have run into problems with Hopville. If BeerCalculus doesn't allow you to specify late boil addition, I would go with Beersmith, since it will likely be a more accurate number for final IBUs.

Wow. Reacting to your post I just did all kinds of playing with LME boil time to watch the IBUs. I've read about hop utilization, but now I think I understand. If nothing else, working with BS guided by folks who know what they are doing is teaching me something.

Back