Another backsweeting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usaftrevor87

Reaction score
I searched on here and couldn't really find my answer. So here is my idea; I'm not great at explaining stuff so we'll see how this goes.

I was planning to use Splenda to backsweetin (since it does not ferment), but after all the research I did I've decided not to because of the off tastes and what not.
So now I'm thinking, what else can I use that doesn't ferment. I thought of wine conditioner, but not sure and it can get spendy.
Then I thought of doing it the tried and true way of using Potassium sorbate and campden tablets and backsweet to taste.
Then I got to thinking... when you make frozen concentrate wines you can't use the ones with preservatives because they won't ferment. So theoretically couldn't I just add frozen concentrate that isn't 100% organic with preservatives, to backsweeten and have to not worry about bottle bombs cause it shouldn't ferment... right?

Any insights?

Never say never...fermentation can restart in just about anything. 10s of thousands of gallons of wine have been backsweetened with wine conditioner or sugar and sorbate (they are the same thing, by the way). No need to reinvent the wheel.

Sorbate and camden tablets are cheap and are very good at doing what they do when it comes to preventing fermentation, I'd add them and then do the concentrate also. I like to keep my back sweetening simple and I very much enjoy the flavor of sweetening with juices and concentrates.

Yea those concentrates or juices with sulfites and sorbate can ferment. When I make my lemon wine or mead I use 3 32fl oz bottles of the stuff that is riddled with sulfites and sorbate and I always get it to ferment. That is because in 5 gallons of total liquid it is diluted a lot. 5 Camden tablets and 2.5 tsp of sorbate is a lot more than what the juice bottles add. So like the above says. Use the sorbate and sulfites and you should be ok.

Sulphite and sorbate for sure and then you can back sweeten with just about anything! Wine conditioner would be ideal, but if you have ever tasted it....I would say clear corn syrup is very close.....add slowly....and taste often....you'll be surprised how little is needed in a 23 litre batch!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back