Another aeration question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukass

Reaction score
Hey,

Sorry for repeating myself, but I need to be sure I'm doing this correctly - I don't want any hot, cardboard beer in the end... I'm brewing my first real high gravity beer, a 16-17% barleywine from Sam calagiones book, xtreme brewing. The recipe called for aeration of the wort during primary, along with multiple sugar additions. Now, I am about to transfer to secondary and add a super high gravity yeast, followed by more sugar additions. It now calls for aeration with an aquarium pump and stone once again in secondary. It is already on day 11 so I'm wondering if the aeration is even necessary? Would it produce off flavors? And do you think it would be better if I just pitched the yeast and didn't do a secondary aeration. I'm assuming the yeast will do it's thing and not need any extra oxygen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

That is a very interesting recipe. I've never heard of the secondary aeration, hope someone can help!

I think the recipe is calling for those steps because it's a big beer and would require a lot of yeast cells. Honestly though, I think aerating will do more harm than good since oxidation of flavor molecules is sure to happen (leading to cardboard-like flavors). If you don't think the second yeast addition has enough cells, perhaps make a starter and skip aeration altogether? The steps in this recipe are totally foreign to me, so that's what I would do. It's up to your judgement though.

Thanks guys, I did a starter with the super high gravity yeast with 1 1/2 vials, and built it up twice so it is a nice, healthy starter. I was thinking the same thing though - I'm just gonna pitch the yeast and not worry about a second aeration.. Don't wanna risk getting those off flavors from oxidation

Back