Anode Rod users ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
I have this pot

8723822665_65b3b42c73_c.jpg

The anode rod ( at 6 oclock ) keeps wearing away, as it is supposed to I assume.

When I have left tap water in the brew pot, for cleaning or testing purposes, I have seen the rod flake/wear away.
Over a few days the rod will just flake off and lay on the bottom of the pot and sort of discolors the pot.
I guess it does this when I brew/boil also.

Is it OK to run my RO/DI water in the brew pot directly and let it sit for a few days before I use it to brew?
Is this causing an ill effects to my brew if water is on this rod for x period of days and then I brew with it?

thanks Kevin

DI water can be fairly aggressive on metals. You could toss a little gypsum into the water and try it like that. The gypsum will likely be good fro your brew and should help with the aggressiveness of the water.

This is just a guess, there are likely better folks to comment on this (aj or martin). You might try a post over in the brew science forum to get their attention.

I'm not sure of what is being protected by the anode?

It's being sacrificed to protect what metal?

Yes, DI is very aggressive. It will dissolve most metals except stainless.

RO isn't much kinder. We use Stainless and PVC for all our treatment water.

'da Kid

Back