Anniversary Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetpoetatoe

Reaction score
My brothers getting married soon, and I was having alot of trouble thinking for a present. I figured that with mead having an ancient history in love and all that, it seems the perfect drink. And the ability to have it age and last as their marriage goes on.
My plan is to make A mead on the day of their wedding(me being across the country and not being able to get there) So then on their first anniversary they can open a 1 year old bottle of mead. Then by the time their second aniversary rolls around there can be a second. and so on and so forth, aging with their marraige. The only thing is, although I've made a couple meads, I havent tried too many, and most of the ones Ive tried were pretty young. I want to make a mead that can taste good by that first year, and taste great years from then
Ive been looking at a Sweet mead recipe out of the complete joy of homebrewing. But I think maybe something with a little more copmplexity but not too far out there (theyre a pretty laid back couple) would fit the bill.
I would love any suggestions input and ideas. I havent had much experience with mead so anything at all would be greatly appreciated

I look forward to seeing what other members come up with...

I know there is a thread on here about a vanilla "Leap Year" mead that was intended to age 4 years. I'm interested in trying something like that, but I can't offer any firsthand experience with that one.

I've been working on a couple chocolate meads, but the oldest one I have is only 4 months old. My attempt is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/end-world-mead-recipes-mayan-inspired-223008/

Good luck, and let us know what you decide... I'm always looking for new ideas.

yeah i really want to do an end of the world mead too, but its cuttin it pretty close makin any in the near future, but that recipe does look delicious! I've been looking into meads roots as the "honey moon" drink where they would get engaged, make a mead, and set the wedding for a year later, so then they'd drink it on the honeymoon. It supposedly increased chances of having a boy.
I was also toying with the idea of making a few different meads and giving them different ones, but i really like the metaphor of the mead changing and aging as they do

To be honest, I think you should make a straight show mead with the vey best honey that you can find!

To be honest, I think you should make a straight show mead with the vey best honey that you can find!

+1 on the show mead. Orange blossom is a great varietal & is usually reletively easy to find, so is Teupelo. My fav is acacia, but it's harder to find & is a bit more expensive.
Regards, GF.

I like that idea alot. I was also looking into mixed honey recipes, but its had to find some honeys in larger quantities

Well, rather than messing about with "show" meads and long ferments or other unpredictables, I'd suggest a decent traditional.

That way, you can use a good quality/flavour etc honey, but you aren't constrained from using nutrients etc, or other of the "normal" home brewing chems to get it right, then it's just down to the ageing processes.....

regards

fatbloke

I mean, thats the thing i wanted to rely on most, so that there would be a noticeable difference from year one to year 2 to year 5 and whathaveyou. not one that would peak really early on. as funny of a marriage metaphor as it could be, it would be disappointing

Well, rather than messing about with "show" meads and long ferments or other unpredictables, I'd suggest a decent traditional.

That way, you can use a good quality/flavour etc honey, but you aren't constrained from using nutrients etc, or other of the "normal" home brewing chems to get it right, then it's just down to the ageing processes.....

regards

fatbloke

A traditional mead is a show mead and vice versa. A mead made with honey and water as a base :)

I vote traditional as well, particularly as a gift for aging. My first mead was with Tupelo and it got raves. I started an Orange Blossom this weekend. Sometimes a "plain" glass of mead is all that's needed, especially with the honeymoon theme.

I ended up not being able to find tulepo or orange blossom by the wedding, so i made 2 gallons with a 1.110 gravity, and some nice local honey, and then i can sweeten those up with orange or tulepo, thanks for all the input and everything guys!

That's funny, I did this same thing for my brother's wedding coming up in November. It's my first mead though, so I guess I'll just have to sample some to make sure it's good...:drunk:

yeah this is only my second, so its runin alot on hope, my first aint even past a year itself, best of luck to you too though!

Back