Android brewing control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bavilo

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum so I would like to introduce myself first. My name is Michael, I'm 28 years old and I live in Germany. I have discovered brewing beer as one of my hobbies about 3 years ago. Since then I have have been working on my own little automated brewing tower and I wanted to share it with you guys!

To start things off, if you decide to give this project a try, you WILL be needing experience in electrical wiring. This can be dangerous so please don't try this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I currently do not have schematics. But the Arduino code is commented. You can check with inputs and outputs are available and you can decide how you want to wire it up!

What can it do?
- Mashing control
- Sparging control
- Cooking contro
- Notifications for hoppings

Inputs
- Impuls-watercounter
- Heating (Mashing tun) automatic / manual
- Heating (Sparging water) automatic / manual
- Pump (Wort tun) automatic / manual
- Pump (Lautertun) automatic / manual
- Levelswitch (Wort tun)
- Levelswitch (Lautertun)
- DS18B20 temperature sensors

Outputs
- Heating (Mashing tun)
- Heating (Sparging water)
- Pump (Wort tun)
- Pump (Lautertun)

Recipes can be saved and loaded at anytime. Once the recipe is sent to the Arduino MEGA, the Arduino will start the brewing process. You can also hoop up an I2C LCD to monitor the process.

The App can be downloaded here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baviloworks.braumeister

The latest Arduino sketch can be downloaded here:
https://bitbucket.org/Bavilo/brauregler/src

The required Arduino libraries can be downloaded here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxMgIxRp9HIBQWtFRExxU1JxSEU

It's very important that the version of the Android App matches the version of the Arduino App! If this is not the case, things might go wrong!

Here's a few screenshots of the App:

xBT1iF4.png
ekIhpPK.png
2BFMLHh.png

v4TQB2d.png
CnQIk9O.png
mvGva6B.png

mvGva6B.png
xI8WCz5.png
gSNjwbJ.png

This is a picture of my control panel:

bjStxAD.jpg

This is a picture of my setup (older picture! does not contain sparging pump):

DHQbS5u.jpg

The system contains the following:

- Arduino MEGA
- Arduino MEGA screw terminal shield
- HC-05 Bluetooth module
- 2x Solid state relais 20A (For mashing and sparging water)
- 2x Solid state relais 2A (For Wort pump and Lautertun pump)
- 4x Wall sockets

On top of this, at least two DS18B20 temperature sensors, a few 2-way switches for automatic / manual, two levelswitches, etc.

Maybe someone will find this interesting. I would love to have some more testers.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

This looks amazing. Have you tried implementing a pid algorithm all to help with the temperature adjustments?

I habe tested PID algorithms in the past. This time I have decided against it since the mash is just way too sluggish and is not able to react to sudden changes.

I'm using a simple 2 point control with hysteresis which can be adjusted at any time. Works like a charm.

Sadly I don't have a video of my setup in action. You can try the App...but you'll need the Arduino counterpart to use it :(

Latest posts

Back