An important question on starting a HB Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
After reading a related thread on homebrew clubs on this forum, I figured why not start a club here in ND? There used to be a homebrew club in the Bismarck-Mandan area of North Dakota. I spoke to the guy who started it and apparently it died 8 years ago because, "The craft beer industry is really losing a lot of interest these days." I don't know if I agree with that, but... Anyway, since that club had died, I asked him to send interested parties my way so we could get a new one started up. There's also a close circle of friends who are willing to and excited to get in on this.

What I'd like to know, is if you don't meet at someone's house, where do you meet? There's a pub/bar in town that probably has some of the better brews on tap, but I'm not sure how this works. Do you meet with the manager and establish some sort of arrangement? Or do you actually have to pay him/her some sort of fee to meet there? Ideally, it'd be nice to be able to bring our own carry-ins, our homebrews, so we can trade them and get feedback. But I don't see how that'd be acceptable by a pub owner. Any ideas on how this is done?

The club that I'm a member of, that just started, used to meet at a pub. They would give us some semi-private space when it was free, and we all would buy a couple pints from them so it made them money. But, since we meet on Friday nights we've shifted to an Elks club, same deal, they don't mind if we bring in some homebrew as long as we're buying a few pints at the bar. Probably best if you know someone, or know someone who knows someone, to get an arrangement agreed upon in advance.

The club that I met was meeting in the back room of the LHBS. They have how to brew classes there and they used that room.

I'd try for brewpubs first since they're a little more sympathetic to the homebrew's plight. Our club has been meeting at the same place for 11 years and there's another brewpub practically begging us to have meetings with them more often. No, we don't pay....directly. We're even going to be brewing a 12 barrel batch in August at the brewery.

The Austin Zealots are pretty laid back. They meet on the second Saturday at the Gingerman downtown Austin in the beer garden. No dues, No BS. Just homebrew tasting and a few kick butt parties and picnics.

8 years ago there was a big slump. Too many vulture capitalists pumping money into businesses that lacked a good brewer.

OBC generally meets at a LHBS, but has out-meetings at brewpubs 3-4 times a year.. HoV is mainly member homes with out-meetings. This month they're at Calapooia in Albany.

If you have an LHBS, check with them. They sometimes come in a sponsor to some effect and lend some space. If not, check with brewpubs in your area. If you do not have any of those, then check with a good beer bar in your area. If you have none of those, rotate houses or find something like what Bird has. :)

In any case, make sure you can bring homebrew to the venue. It's all but a given at the LHBS, but not necessarily anywhere else.

TL

What I'd like to know, is if you don't meet at someone's house, where do you meet? There's a pub/bar in town that probably has some of the better brews on tap, but I'm not sure how this works. Do you meet with the manager and establish some sort of arrangement? Or do you actually have to pay him/her some sort of fee to meet there? Ideally, it'd be nice to be able to bring our own carry-ins, our homebrews, so we can trade them and get feedback. But I don't see how that'd be acceptable by a pub owner. Any ideas on how this is done?

our club mainly meets at members houses however we do meet twice a year at our lhbs/micro brewery, we've met at pubs, we've met at a coffee shop for a very informative chat from the owner about everything coffee, we are planning on meeting at a local cigar shop, a bee farm, etc.

most shop owners are open to our meetings. we always buy product from their shop, and share our beer. for these small nich shops, it's a win win situation. for us we get informed about the products the owner sells, and we buy thier product. when we do meet at pubs, we always buy product such as eats etc. one of the pubs requested that their waitress pour our homebrews...no big deal we tipped her well.

i'm always looking for neat and interesting places to meet.

Back