Amoeba in Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrantedFED

Reaction score
This is a what if scenario based on the Netti Pot amoeba occurrences (ref mobile link: http://m.npr.org/story/143960631?ur...t-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning )

What if I top my wort off to 5 gallons using unsterilized tap water that is contaminated with amoeba? Would it grow in the wort consuming the sugars in the same way that bacteria do so? Would this cause a beer laden with deadly brain eating amoeba, in such high quantities that it could pose a health risk despite not flushing your sinus with the beer?

This may seem silly, but I have been curious about this for awhile...

If there were amoebas in your tap water you would likely have dysentery and would be spending way more time in the bathroom than brewing.

The amoebas may be there from the tap water, but the beauty of beer (and the reason humans still exist) is that as it becomes beer (ie ferments) ALL deadly pathogens will die off and the beer will be safe to drink. How did humans deal with water that killed you if you drank it? Made beer with it and boom you have a safe liquid to drink, that doubles as long-term grain storage.

The article is about using Neti pots and tap water to clean out your sinus cavity.

It's not my business to tell you what you can and can't do...
You're not squirting wort up your nose are you? I understand people can have their kinks but... :D

There's mini boogy men in tap water too.....and a monster in my brew kettle.

Get a bigger pot and do full boils = the whole batch is sanitary.

Not to mention the specific amoeba in question will only eat your brain if it comes in contact with the mucus membranes in your sinus cavities....

It's funny you brought it up though, I was at a tour of a local brewery and they barrel age most of their beers. Some of the "bad" ones were outside dripping and I tasted one. My girlfriend just about had an aneurysm from it stating there could be amoebas in it. She's a med school student, but us brewers know better. :fro:

TopherM said:
There's mini boogy men in tap water too.....and a monster in my brew kettle.

Get a bigger pot and do full boils = the whole batch is sanitary.

Lol. At least that's what you tell the kids, right?

I figures amoebae would not survive fermentation, but hey, didn't know for sure.

I do recommend that any additional water that would need to be added to the wort be sterilized first.

Sometimes I hear gremlins in my closet. I think they are drinking out of my fermenters. Will this infect my beer?

Water in wort = you are going to have rapidly multiplying Gremlins......and we all know where that leads

They always suggest using pre-boiled or distilled water for using a neti-pot, I would assume the acids in your stomach would help kill off amoeba that were drank

Water in wort = you are going to have rapidly multiplying Gremlins......and we all know where that leads

Oh crap...you're right...I'm not opening that closet any time soon. Maybe I'll throw em a snack after midnight. Some leftover fried chicken or something. Poor little guys need more than just beer.

Back