American Style Wheat Beer Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I don't brew a whole lot of ales with wheat. I love bells oberon so I am going to brew a beer inspired by it and using bells yeast. I have certain grains and varieties of hops on hand so that would explain why i have only 10 pounds wheat in the grain bill and the use of different hops. I am hoping to create a palatable and interesting wheat ale.

Mash at 152 and ferment at 72 degrees with Bells Yeast. 16.5 gallon batch

17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 52.3 %
10 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 30.8 %
3 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 12.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 5.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bells Yeast Yeast 11 -
2.00 oz Crystal [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 21.5 IBUs
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

I would recommend doing a saccarification rest at 140 for 15 minutes during the mash with a wheat beer, it will lead to better fermentibility which can be a problem with this style.

Your hops might end up a little heavy on the nose too, which can be desired and I certainly like so it just depends on what you're going for. 72' ferment will also give you a pretty fruity/sweet tasting beer IMO, I tend to like my american wheats on the drier side though.

Your hops might end up a little heavy on the nose too, which can be desired and I certainly like so it just depends on what you're going for. 72' ferment will also give you a pretty fruity/sweet tasting beer IMO, I tend to like my american wheats on the drier side though.

The hop heavy nose is quite alright with me, but I will take your advice to heart and ferment a little lower.

I have to think about the multi step mash...I could do a decoction too I guess to increase the level of difficulty!:mug:

Looks like a great recipe! I agree with fermenting a little lower too. Especially if you're really wanting more hop character over the esters that will be created when fermenting over 70 degrees.

i would ferment mid 60s for a nice, clean fermentation as american wheats are supposed to have a very neutral yeast character. everything else looks okay to me except for the crystal which is not needed at all in my opinion.

Oh, I almost forgot that you'll probably need some rice hulls in order to prevent a stuck sparge.

yeah ferment in the mid-60s or it wont be nearly as "palatable: as you intended due to yeast solventy flavors

Back