American Rye Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhalloran

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here and I would love to get some feedback from the community. I'm brewing my 9th batch of beer this weekend (5th all-grain). This is my first time at creating my own recipe. I would love feedback on the recipe itself, and whether using Wyeast 1098 will work for this. 2565 would probably be ideal, but I harvested 1098 yeast from trub back in December and would like to use it.

Wolveryens!
Smoked Orange Rye

8oz Carared
8oz Crystal 120L
1lb Crystal 60L
3lbs Rye Malt
7lbs Marris Otter OR 2-row (up for debate)
1oz Hallertauer (First Wort - 120min)
.5oz Simcoe (20min)
1 oz Hallertauer (10 min)
1 Whirlfloc (10 min)
3 grilled and wood-smoked oranges (halved) (5 min)

Mash:
In @ 154 for 60min
Out @ 168 for 10min
Batch sparge @ 168

Looking forward to critiques and thanks!

jhalloran said:
Hello,

This is my first post here and I would love to get some feedback from the community. I'm brewing my 9th batch of beer this weekend (5th all-grain). This is my first time at creating my own recipe. I would love feedback on the recipe itself, and whether using Wyeast 1098 will work for this. 2565 would probably be ideal, but I harvested 1098 yeast from trub back in December and would like to use it.

Wolveryens!
Smoked Orange Rye

8oz Carared
8oz Crystal 120L
1lb Crystal 60L
3lbs Rye Malt
7lbs Marris Otter OR 2-row (up for debate)
1oz Hallertauer (First Wort - 120min)
.5oz Simcoe (20min)
1 oz Hallertauer (10 min)
1 Whirlfloc (10 min)
3 grilled and wood-smoked oranges (halved) (5 min)

Mash:
In @ 154 for 60min
Out @ 168 for 10min
Batch sparge @ 168

Looking forward to critiques and thanks!

Too much crystal and Cara is also a crystal. Maris will give a slightly more malty flavor than 2 row.

You will get lots of opinions, hopefully, so here's mine:

4oz Cara
4oz 120
6 oz 60
1 lb rye
10 lbs MO

Mash at 152
1968 at 65

I would use at least 2 oranges in secondary after FG, IME the flavor and aroma of orange peel is lost in the boil and I think secondary will make it stand out nicely.

Cheers!

2 lbs of crystal is a lot, as noted. I'd cut it by at least 75% if it was for me, maybe by around 50% for someone else. I'd stick with 3lbs of rye, but I like rye. 1098 is fine. I don't have much input on the oranges. I would use some Briess Cherrywood-smoked 2-row (or smoke your own) and some orange zest, but that's not to say your way would be bad.

Thank you for the input on the crystal, I will cut it back some. I will also add some orange peel to the secondary. Appreciate the input!

Back