American lager with ipa type ibus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demons210

Reaction score
Anyone ever make an American lager type beer with ipa type hop bill? If so, how did it turn out?

Anyone ever make an American lager type beer with ipa type hop bill? If so, how did it turn out?
never made one but you can try mikkeller's american dream (or danish dream if you're in europe). It's a lager with a crazy ammount of american hops

from my understanding, it is a little wasteful.

IBUs get lagered out, so you have to compensate, and the resulting bitter, one dimensional beer is undistinguisghable from a 2 row and hops ale.

I have brewed the one dimensional ale, and I doubt if many people could tell if it was lagered or not.....unless lagering diminishes hop flavor in that type of brew.

I wouldn't bother with too many late hop additions, but you could dry hop a lager after the lagering period. Would probably be best to lager in a purged corny where you wont loose any of the aroma, and let it dry hop for much longer if it's at colder temps. I'm thinking about doing something like this after the holidays next to a big malty dopplebock.

Well I had a bunch of leftover hops in the freezer and I just made a bock so I had some extra room in my lagering fridge so I made a pretty basic American lager with some added honey malt and threw in all the leftover hops. I have no idea how it will turn out but if it ends up being good ill share the recipe. I made a lager instead of a ale because I had a couple packs of lager yeast that were about to expire. I shall call this one "use it before you loose it lager". Hope everyone has a merry christmas.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/60078

DFH my antonia is sorta along the same lines, hoppy imperial pilsner is what they call it i think.

its decent, but i wouldn't spend the effort to brew it i don't think.

doubling the boilign hops and a massive dry hop in the keg after lagering would probably get you where you want to be. depends what you mean by an american lager as well. if you brewed up a BMC clone, and then added a ton of hops, i think it would taste like hop tea almost at the end. the my antonia is pretty hoppy, but its got a decent pilsner malt character as well.

I've had one before but never made one. Indistinguishable from a farely clean hoppy ale in my opinion. Dry hop near the end of lagering for best results and make sure to use plenty of flavor hops in the boil to account for it lagering out.

Glad my post wasn't offensive. I respect lagers, but hoppy lagers seem to be kinda a dare. Why put lots of hops in and lager some out?

I made an American pale lager...

Basically my house pale ale recipe with WLP833... It's lagering now

Back