Amber Ale - Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
I'm brewing up an amber ale tomorrow and trying to finalize the recipe--I already bought the grains, but I'm having trouble figuring out my hop schedule. My troubles are compounded by the fact that I just received a hop grab bag from Nikobrew, so I have many more varieties to choose from than I usually do, several of which I've not used before.

I'm aiming for an OG of 1.055. My grain bill is 78.5% Rahr Pale Ale, 10.5% Red Wheat Malt, 8% Crystal 60, 3% Victory.

I'm making this mostly for my wife, who is not a big hop fan, and I'm hoping to keep it right around 25 IBUs. Her hop flavor preferences, in order, are probably fruity, citrus, spicy, floral, earthy, and herbal. Piney is probably her least favorite hop flavor.

Below is the list of hops I have to work with from my grab bag. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for which of these would work well together in an amber, and which you'd recommend for bittering, flavor, aroma, etc. This doesn't have to be super true to style, so I'm open to out of the box suggestions.

Smaragd
Mt. Hood
Magnum
Chinook
Styrian Goldings
Centennial
Summit
Cascade
Mandarina Bavaria
Ultra
Delta
Hallertau Mittelfruh
Calypso
Santiam

I also have very small quantities of Crystal, Willamette, and Mosaic leftover from previous batches that I could use to augment any of the hops above.

Thanks in advance!

And in case it is pertinent to your recommendation, I have the option to use either WLP007 or Wyeast 1450 for my yeast.

Centennial and Mandarina Bavaria seem to be the best fit. Try something like:

.4oz Magnum @ 60
.25oz each Centennial/Mandarina Bavaria @ 10
.25oz each Centennial/Mandarina Bavaria @ 0

Mangum to bitter
Styrian/Wilamette mid boil (20 or 15 min)
Cascade/Centennial in the last 5 minutes.

Cascade/Centennial/Mosaic mix if you want to dry hop

Back