Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are Amarillo hops still popular in homebrewing? Before my break from the hobby they were all the rage. I see them available, but it looks like homebrewing has mostly moved on to newer varieties?

It looks like they’re still patented so no rhizomes.

I dont know about trends, I like using them and my LHBS always has them stocked. I like to use them as a break from the grapefruit of Cascade as I find Amarillo is more like orange on that citrus flavor. I've heard apricot being used as part of their flavor profile.

They may have lost their fanfare as a new hot hop, but I believe the've settled in as a reliable decent seller. I know my LHBS doesn't stock them just for me.

I wouldn't call them unpopular but you know that shiny, new polish that wears off...i think that's what happened.

You still see folks here and there posting about using it, as with anything when something else new comes along the last new thing falls by the wayside

a 5% decline over 8 years. Amarillo is still a pretty solid staple in American IPA and Pale Ales. Here's a look at the typical hops used in award winning IPAs. This is from Meanbrews assessment of 77 medal winning recipes. Citra may be the dominant new comer but look how strong the classics are.

1670726414537.png

Yeah I’d love to try growing some myself. I don’t know anything about agricultural law. Does a patented plant like this remain patented forever?

patents last 20 years. Virgil Gamach Farms fled the patent in 2003. The first bine was taken in 1990. This could be an interesting year coming up. How would one get their hands on the physical rhizomes in the farm still owns the plants even though the patent expires?

patents last 20 years. Virgil Gamach Farms fled the patent in 2003. The first bine was taken in 1990. This could be an interesting year coming up. How would one get their hands on the physical rhizomes in the farm still owns the plants even though the patent expires?
Pay a steep price?

Back