Amarillo + Saaz Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian

Reaction score
Hi peoples, I want to brew an all grain Lager using Amarillo + Saaz. I need a grain bill and a yeast also a hopping schedule. I usually go 95% pils and 5% Carapils but I would like to try something slightly different. Any input would be appreciated.

Damian

A good start would be a description of what you're desiring from the Amarillo. Adding it to the boil and dry hopping with it produce two very different flavor profiles in my experience.

HI, I was thinking...
35 IBU
SG 1.048
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Saaz 15 min

.5 oz Amarillo 1 min
.5 oz Saaz 1 min

but open to suggestions. I have a voucher for a White Labs vile so I would like to use that. Thanks.

I'm not experienced in lagers, but that could be good. Amarillo is more than likely more potent than saaz. So unless you want it to taste mostly like Amarillo, I'd up the saaz or lower the Amarillo.

HI, I was thinking...
35 IBU
SG 1.048
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Saaz 15 min

.5 oz Amarillo 1 min
.5 oz Saaz 1 min

but open to suggestions. I have a voucher for a White Labs vile so I would like to use that. Thanks.
No bittering? That gets you to 35 IBUs? OK, so I would suggest MORE at the flame out. Like an oz of each...I rarely regret using MORE when it comes to flavoring and aroma and dry hops. Looks tasty.

I want the Amarillo to dominate, I'll increase both my 1 min additions to 1 oz. I'll bitter with NB. What is the most neutral Lager yeast? How would Pils 95% and Vienna 25% go?

I don't bitter my low IBU beers like saisons, lagers, pilsners. If you want it hoppy, the late additions should match out. I'd adjust the water chemistry to get more perceived bitterness rather than a bittering addition if that is what you are after.

I don't make lager because I can't do the temperatures but if I did I love the idea of no bittering and all hop burst close to flame out. If I'm making light wheats, saisons, belgian pale ales, beers where I consider strong hop character out of style, I tend to stick to noble hops, added on a whim throughout the boil. I never hear anything about noble characters except 'smooth bittering' or at absolute best 'minty'. Like those premium 'triple hopped lagers' and such, I don't expect much more hop than 'smooth bittering'.

I want the Amarillo to dominate, I'll increase both my 1 min additions to 1 oz. I'll bitter with NB. What is the most neutral Lager yeast? How would Pils 95% and Vienna 25% go?

German Lager Yeast=very clean with a malty flavor. The malty flavor sometimes can be overshadowed with flavor hop additions, but if thats what your after, it'll still give you a nice clean lager.

The Amarillo WILL dominate if you use them 50/50....so that should work out for ya. I would recommend a 90 minute boil with all that pils. Cook up a big starter. GL!

Saaz has no chance against Amarillo. Also, in a lager, hop bursting makes a little less sense - after fermetation, lagering and bottle conditioning - the aroma gains from a hop burst may be negated.

- Was searching for something - never checked the date when I replied. </necro>

Back