Amarillo+Citra+Chinook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Now that the weather is finally warming up, I am about to start again brewing some IPAs and hopefully, they will turn out nice.

The one I am eager to try is: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/512075/03-ipa-w-amarillo

Would Chinook blend nicely with Amarillo and Citra? I am not looking for an overly piney, dank, bitter beer, this is why the focus will be Amarillo, with a bit of support from Citra and Chinook. I've used Chinook together with Simcoe and Amarillo, and the beer was pure grapefruit juice and grapefruit rind. Very good, but not what I'm after this time.

The Golden Promise is from Simpsons, the yeast will simply be US-05 'cause is cheap and readily available. I have soft water, with low mineral content and I will treat the water to around 100 ppm Ca, 10 ppm Mg, 3 ppm Na, 70 ppm Cl and around 170 ppm SO4. ( initial thoughts )

Yes, the hop schedule looks intricate, but I've brewed several Pale Ales in the last months using similar schedules, also heavy on Amarillo, and they turned out great. I like the softer bitterness from only adding hops late in the boil and whirlpool, and the improves aroma and flavour, when using bigger amounts of hop in the whirlpool.

What do you think? Will an all Golden Promise base work with the hops?

I did a session IPA with Chinook and Citra, came out fantastic. FWH with Chinook. Then equal amounts of each at 10 minutes and flame out, with just Citra at dry hop. If I added Amarillo I think I would bring it in at about 5 minutes left in the boil and then dry hop with it along with Citra.

I've made a few with Chinook and Amarillo that turned out really well.

Iike the idea of first Wort hopping as well.

I'm thinking the Chinook and Citra will complement the Amarillo, which will be the focus of the beer. I personally like Chinook a lot. I also like Citra, but I feel that in bigger amounts, can easily overpower other hops, which is why, I decided to make Amarillo the " star " of the brew.

I finally ended up with the final version. I will go only with Amarillo and Citra this time, all Golden Promise base malt, with US-05 as the yeast, dry, West Coasty water profile ( 75 ppm Cl and 150-200 ppm SO4 ).

Most hops I will be using will go in the last 20 minutes of the boil and a 30 minutes whirlpool made between 140 and 158F. Dry hopping will only consist of 3.6 oz Amarillo and 1.8 oz Citra, with the focus on Amarillo. 10 oz of hops will go in the boil and whirlpool.

Back