alternatives to pasteurizing honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have a gallon of cider sitting in a just with campden that was set up last night. I didn't have the honey yet so it didn't get added at the same time. Usually when i add brown sugar to my Ciders after fermentation has started i will just boil the sugar cool and add.

With the honey i hear it dulls the flavors and aroma to boil. Is there another option for me?

I'm making a cyser.

Yes, just mix-in the honey directly with the cider. It takes a bit more effort, but there's no need to pasteurize it before using it.

+1, practically nothing lives in honey anyway, so adding it directly isnt a problem. You may find that heating up a liter or two of water and adding the honey to that makes it a lot thinner and easier to work with, no globs that you have to mix in. That's how I usually do my meads, I heat up just enough water to just hot enough to dissolve the honey, then top up with water in the carboy. Much easier.

Back