Almost Five Weeks Since Planting, Replant Something Else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
I planted 3 varieties over four weeks ago: Hallertau, Cascade, and Centennial. I purchased the Hallertau and Centennial from the same vendor which were bigger rhizomes than the Cascade. The Hallertau and Centennial emerged 2 weeks ago and are growing well, the Cascade has not appeared yet. Should I plant something else? The Cascade is in between the other plants so I don't want an empty space in case it never emerges. Too late to plant a fresh rhizome?

It's not too late to plant. You won't get much as far as hops go either way...so it's best to plant them now and get their roots going. That way, next year, you'll have a good crop. I would say if your Hallertau is growing (pickier plant in my opinion) but not the cascade...then it's a bad rhizome. I could be wrong though. Try planting another one in it's place and sticking the "bad" one in a planter. Baby it a bit and it might suprise you. Hops aren't very easy to screw up.

My cascade took 6 weeks to come up last year. (I had already bought another rhisome) This year its growing like crazy and is in first place as far as height.

Latest posts

Back