Allow smoking in our new pub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should our new brewpub allow smoking?

• Yes! Places like this should allow smoking.

• On the fence - I may come in occasionally if smoking were allowed inside.

• I would never set foot in that stink-hole if smoking were allowed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I finally voted, by the way. I'm a smoker and I'll definitely be going to McHale's, so I voted a self-serving yes. That said, smoky bars smell like smoky bars and that's definitely not my favorite part about being a smoker.

I've heard people talk about the smoke-eater systems. How ridiculously priced are those things? I'd definitely enjoy being in a smoking bar more if I didn't feel like I was sitting next to a brush fire.

I'm pretty much turned off to cig smoke. I've done a U-turn at the door of more than one establishment due to smoke.

I'd prefer not to sit beside a steaming pile of dogshiat while I eat or drink, and same goes for a smouldering cig. I will not eat or drink there. Why? It's annoying and disgusting. I'm a bit over 50 and used to smoke myself, quite a while back, so no prude. But cig smoke takes any establishment down several notches in my book.

To me, a public house is a place you can go to to be yourself. For some people, that means smoking. I am against smoke free pubs, but recognize that a ton of people love the idea (see ban in WI).

I really think it needs to be a local decision and a conscious decision directed at your desired clientele. A local corner pub that expects local blue collar regulars would do much better to allow smoking in my area (or would have before the government told people what was good for them :rolleyes:).

I guess it depends. Personally I still smoke and the only bar I frequent is one where everyone is allowed to smoke. I prefer this but it won't kill me to go outside. If anything do not follow this poll alone, instead think of who your target is. What kind of customers are you trying to bring in? Btw I live in Michigan where there is a smoking ban, but many bars don't follow this past 11pm or 12am.

I have been in cigar bars where you couldn't barely tell (i am a non smoker) because the ventilation system is amazing... something to consider. no idea on cost of course. so your patrons win, and your pocket loses.

alcohol is bad enough so i stay away from the smoking. plus it irritates my eyes to be honest when it gets thick in the room.

now if you allowed smoking but only with the use of a vaporizers then i might check out the atmosphere in the place let alone the brew.

actually that might be a good idea. have several box vaporizers, maybe in the middle or edge of table and allow the patrons to use then with their tobacco.

I didn't vote because I don't like the tone of your responses, but I would vote no, not because of the "I would never set foot in that stink-hole." But because I have never been in a true brewpub where smoking was allowed. Even before Michigan went non-smoking in public, the true brew pubs/microbreweries that had the best beer, and were just not trying to be trendy, did NOT allow smoking in their places.

Those places really believed that thier beer be tasted and smelled under the best conditons, and they felt that a smoky room wasn't condusive to that. It was that simple....in fact most of the staff, brewers, even a few owners of these places WERE smokers, so it wasn't someone on the "extreme" non-smoking side of the argument, being "smoking nazis." Just people who appreciated their craft, and wanted others to be able to appreciate it at it's best.

Even when I was a smoker, in those places it really wasn't a big deal to step outside to grab one, and usually it would even be with some of the staff, including the brewer. I may have not liked doing it in a regular bar where bmc was sold, but I could appreciate that the owners and brewers really cared about their product enough to want their customers to really appreciate all the subtle nuances in aroma and flavor- the hard work that went into it.

These places also tended to have knowlegable wait staff as well. It seemed that these places really cared about their beer enough to make for a well rounded and pleasing environment.

Most of the places that didn't allow smoking were GABF and other award winning places, including some you mak have heard of including, Dragonmead and Kuhnenn's. Both serious winners of awards for years. Both with beers consistatnly on top 100 lists of craft beers.

/2 cents.
precisely this.

I'm an ex smoker, I do prefer not to be around smoke anymore, too tempting. But even if I smoked I'd say this because craft beer and homebrew is meant to be tasted properly and smoke ruins that for both those that smoke and those that don't.

Smokers can choose to forgo smoking if they want to go to your smoke free bar. Non-smokers cannot choose to forgo breathing if they want to go to you smoking allowed bar. I personally like breathing clean air and will not go to bars that allow smoking. If they have an outdoor section that allows it, I'm ok with that.

There is nothing better than beer and food that taste like cigarette smoke. I also enjoy going home and stinking to high hell of cigarette smoke. J/K. I am very glad that here in Santa Fe, you are not allowed to smoke inside or within 25 feet of a public entrance.

We adopted a non-smoking policy here in MT. The loss of revenue that was feared certainly never materialized and in fact most establishments saw increased revenues because individuals such as myself began to frequent them.

My mother died of cancer & my father died from pneumonia - they thought that he was a smoker which he was not - due to my mothers smoking habit.

The CDC report issued in the last week or so which indicated that ANY secondhand smoke, no matter how brief the time period, causes injury, just makes it that much more of a no brainer. Montanaandy

I think it's just a business decision and comes down to environmental drivers such as local regulations and knowing your market, and how best to optimize your business.

Having said that, I've gotten really used to the smoking bans and hate going to bars now where smoking is permitted. Somewhat hypocritically (or very much so), I do enjoy the occasional cigar or pipe. A good compromise in my mind is having a terrace where people can smoke if they so choose, and having those propane heaters for the colder months. Again, not every business will have that option, nor will it necessarily be the best economical decision.

I think it's just a business decision and comes down to environmental drivers such as local regulations and knowing your market, and how best to optimize your business.

Having said that, I've gotten really used to the smoking bans and hate going to bars now where smoking is permitted. Somewhat hypocritically (or very much so), I do enjoy the occasional cigar or pipe. A good compromise in my mind is having a terrace where people can smoke if they so choose, and having those propane heaters for the colder months. Again, not every business will have that option, nor will it necessarily be the best economical decision.

Budzu, this is a good suggestion. I have a propane patio heater and it's fantastic. You could cover a reasonable sized patio with a couple of them. I've seen them around town for less than $100 --which makes me wish I'd have waited to buy mine...

I may have posted it before, but the company majority ruled to allow smoking. We are currently using an ozone generator that works really well. The plan is to incorporate an outdoor area in the spring this coming year, and move the smokers outside.
Until then, I've arranged that we have a non-smoking day at least once a month, when our homebrew club (The Barley Mob) will meet and do tastings etc., and decide on the homebrew recipe to be featured on one of the in-house taps.

Good news though - received our beer permit today so we will be open and doing business next week! The Irish stew with lamb is amazing btw...

Still waiting on response from the TTB but the brewery is mostly done.

I may have posted it before, but the company majority ruled to allow smoking. We are currently using an ozone generator that works really well. The plan is to incorporate an outdoor area in the spring this coming year, and move the smokers outside.
Until then, I've arranged that we have a non-smoking day at least once a month, when our homebrew club (The Barley Mob) will meet and do tastings etc., and decide on the homebrew recipe to be featured on one of the in-house taps.

Good news though - received our beer permit today so we will be open and doing business next week! The Irish stew with lamb is amazing btw...

So you're delayed until next week? We were thinking about stopping in tomorrow night.

Do you know what's nasty? Going out to a bar, coming home, going to bed, and then waking up in the morning and your F*$#$ pillow smells like smoke. F$%*$ Disgusting.

Now, iImagine it if wasn't smoke, but other patrons farts that were clinging to your hair and making your pillow smell like ass. I really don't see any difference in waking up with my pillow smelling like the smoke of the addicted or the ass of the flatulent. It's gross any way you cut it.

Do you know what's nasty? Going out to a bar, coming home, going to bed, and then waking up in the morning and your F*$#$ pillow smells like smoke. F$%*$ Disgusting.

Now, iImagine it if wasn't smoke, but other patrons farts that were clinging to your hair and making your pillow smell like ass. I really don't see any difference in waking up with my pillow smelling like the smoke of the addicted or the ass of the flatulent. It's gross any way you cut it.

So don't go to those places. Duh.

So you're suggesting that indoor farting should also be banned? Will we have to go outside to the smoking area to fart, or will there be a separate outdoor area for the smokeless flatulent? :confused:

Yes, ban the farts!

No, wait, that's not fair. Perhaps we devise an ass-to-mouth March pump, self priming if possible, so that those in need of a noxious fix can satisfy their craving without causing all the eyes of the little tykes in the room to water. Think of it! Oh the humanity.

As a business owner, it's up to you. With that being said, I'd like to point out that smoking is one of the only activities that can have a negative effect on another person simply by doing it near them.

I see it all the time. the places that have an outdoor area for people to smoke do WAY better then those who dont... its not rocket science people, just business.. ;)

To be completely honest I disagree with the laws that don't allow the owner of the establishment to decide but I love being able to drink, eat, bowl, etc... with out having to smell smoke all the time. I love not having my entire body and clothes coated with the smell.

(most of my friends smoke so I'm not judging just enjoying the fresh air)

I would not go to your establishment if smoking was allowed in-doors. As said previously your best bet is an outdoor patio if that is possible.

Being a social smoker, I would go to another establishment that allowed smoking before going to one that didn't. Houston has gone non smoking and I don't go to bars in town particularly for this reason. I smoke cigars and cigarettes, and I even have a local bar that allows me to smoke my cigars in peace.

You want my money, you let me smoke. IMHO

No. A good part of the beer experience is aroma- how can you possibly smell anything when your nose is being assaulted by one of the strongest aromas around? And also, having to shower after I come home from what is supposed to be an enjoyable experience makes it not so enjoyable. So we're going to ruin the beer, and ruin the experience. Two of the three selling points of a brewpub. Kinda seems a tall price to pay so people can give themselves (and others) cancer inside.

I'm allittle late to the party but here's my situation. West Lafayette has a smoking ban, so most people just cross the river and go to lafayette if they want to smoke in a bar, but I worked as a cook in a bar in lafayette that didn't allow smoking, the reasoning the owner gave was that he has no problem with smoking but he knows that some people do, in a 2010 seat Resturant one person smokes and everyone smells it, it's not that big of a deal to go outside for a couple minutes

I smoke and absolutely hate having to stand outside in cold wintry weather to get a nicotine fix... but I'm really glad Maine has banned smoking from bars.

We do allow smoking in our home brewpub, but when people are coming over who don't smoke, I ban it.

I have to agree (and in much less strenuous terms than I've seen here)... I'd go smoke-free.

So you're suggesting that indoor farting should also be banned? Will we have to go outside to the smoking area to fart, or will there be a separate outdoor area for the smokeless flatulent? :confused:

I am a long time smoker (not proud and would rather not be). I feel uncomfortable imposing my habit on others. I much prefer freezing my a$$ off than smoking in a restaurant sitting at a table next to a family with kidz. That is my personal choice and I would follow it whether smoking was allowed or not (probably not in a bar with no restaurant though).

I haven't yet heard of any studies on the effects of second hand farts. It probably would not be good:cross: And if you were exposed in a large enough quantity, It would kill you. *edit* an ass filter could make you a millionaire if required by law.

So would exhaust fumes from a gasoline engine. Is there a law to keep exhaust pipes 25 feet from the entrance to a business establishment? Why are people allowed to drive by a mere few feet from my property while spewing these toxic gasses into my air? I think priorities may be not straight here:confused:

Here in Houston when they banned smoking in bars I thought it was a stupid thing to do. but now it is actually much much nicer to be in bars since its gone. Just make a nice patio for people to smoke on.

Weird. I guess the company majority didn't read this thread? If I were a potential business owner asking the same question, the only way I'd allow smoking after reading this thread is I had the attitude that "this is my business and that's how I want it."

I voted "on the fence". I really wouldn't like it if it were smoking but if the food/beer was good and there was a good working ventilation system then I wouldn't have much of a problem going there.

Personally, I hate the stink of cigarettes. I don't mind if I'm outside and someone's smoking nearby and I catch a whiff occasionally, but I hate the lingering acrid smell. I hate leaving a place and knowing that I completely reek of stale cigarette smoke from other people for the rest of the day/evening, I also hate being in a place and being able to see a haze under the lights from all the people smoking cigarettes.

And even moreso, I abhor the smell of cigarettes while I'm eating. It makes me completely lose my appetite most of the time. I find it very thoughtless and slightly offensive if I'm at a restaurant and someone at the table finishes their meal before me and immediately feels the urge to light up that after-dinner smoke.

I really really dislike the smell of cigarettes and knowing I'm inhaling secondhand smoke from countless people, but if you put in a good enough ventilation system it would probably satisfy me.

Being a social smoker, I would go to another establishment that allowed smoking before going to one that didn't. Houston has gone non smoking and I don't go to bars in town particularly for this reason. I smoke cigars and cigarettes, and I even have a local bar that allows me to smoke my cigars in peace.

You want my money, you let me smoke. IMHO

What in the world does being a social worker have to do with anything?

i smoke but i know i shouldn't. i wouldn't not go to a place because i couldn't smoke (untill i get really drunk and then you don't want me there anyway). the bar i worked at didn't allow smoking untill late at night (and we did have a good ventilation system), but even then i wouldn't smoke if people were eating in the bar, or if there were more than a few people there. if i wanted a cigarette i would ask if anyone minded, and if they did i would go outside. going out to smoke doesn't bother me at all as long as there is a nice area to sit. not like an alley with hobos. depending on how many smokers you get, put a couple of tables and some chairs out, maybe somthing to look at, and you're golden

Back