All PVC/plastic MLT fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think you need CPVC for that application. it will hold up to the heat better... but i believe i've seen a number of them around with CPVC.

I assume you are talking about a plastic cooler MLT, in which case all plastic seems logical. Not sure why so much copper/brass/ss are used. Mine has cpvc manifold connected by plastic tubing to a brass ball valve, only because that is what I had laying around at the time of build. It all worked well - I have since switched to keggle MLT.

i think you need CPVC for that application. it will hold up to the heat better... but i believe i've seen a number of them around with CPVC.

It's usually the fear over leeching chemicals which is why everyone uses cpvc. When copper prices exploded awhile back, I think a lot of people started making the manifolds out of cpvc over copper. Functionally they work the same.

I read that PVC is undesirable at higher temps due to a slight softening of the plastic, NOT due to potential "chemical" leaching. CPVC was developed w/ an additive to keep the plastic more structurally adequate at the higher pressures seen in household hot water systems after limited failures of PVC at very high temps and pressures. Since most mash systems operate at atmospheric pressure, this slight softening and weakening of PVC is meaningless. Do the research, YMMV.

Back