All Munich Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theexternvoid

Reaction score
Here's a simple brew I tried that I thought was rather tasty. It's in the ESB area, though I'm not necessarily trying to make an ESB; just trying to make something tasty. It has nice bready flavor. Problem is that the hop / malt balance is too bitter. The bitterness is drowning out that nice flavor. Any suggestions on if I should add more Munich malt or reduce the hops? Change the mashing temp? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Recipe:
  • 10 lb Minuch malt mashed @ 154F.
  • 11.3 AAU sterling bittering hops @ 60 minutes
  • 11.2 AAU golding aroma hops @ 1 minute
  • Safale S-04

OG - 1.055
FG - 1.014
IBU - 42.2

Thanks!

I just did a 100% Munich II Hallertauer SMaSH to make a crowd-pleasing amber ale for our Xmas party. 10lbs Weyermann Munich II (OG 1.045), one ounce Hallertauer at each: 60, 15, 10, 5. Repitched on US-05 yeast cake for quick fermentation.

If anything, the hops are too subtle for me...tasted like amped-up Budweiser after 2 days on gas. Going to try it again tomorrow night.

I try All Munich simple Saison, and Pale Ale.
Both is very tasting, but FG is less than about 1.005 compared with same beer with All Pale Ale. Yeast is less efficiency.

Just use less bittering hops?

If you think it’s too bitter, I’d agree with this. Maybe cut the 60 minute addition in half, and add the remaining hops at flameout. Sterling hops have a nice flavor that more flameout additions will enhance without the perceived bitterness.

If you do mineral adjustments, another option is to increase the chloride to sulfate ratio. This will increase the maltiness perception compared to bitterness.

Based on my brewing water profile, for malty beers, I’ll typically add 1 - 1.5 tsp CaCl to the mash for a 5 gallon batch.

EDIT: I just noticed this was a post from 6 years ago. Probably not the most timely advice. ;)

Last edited:
Back