Ale-Pocalypse 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fridge is getting too cold though. I guess its better to be too cold than too hot.

I do have a heating pad i might be able to wrap the fermenter in while its inside the fridge. I just dont know if it would work. Also, the guy at my LHBS suggested red-start pasteur champagne yeast. I have never heard of anyone using this type of yeast before but he said that the abv was going to be so high that most other yeasts would drop out at 12% or so and leave unfermented sugars behind.

Well I wouldn't let it get below 60, around 65 I think is idea, what temp range is red star rated for? If it gets too cold though the yeast will drop out top early and not finish the job. Keep me updated on it.

kennywd said:
Oh well you should be fine than. Is it fermenting pretty good?

image-3624395878.jpg

Look for yourself. Its seems to be alright.

Grssmnperez I live close to lackland. potranco and 1604 area would like to a bottle trade maybe the beer sounds rowdy what lhbs do you use

turvis said:
Grssmnperez I live close to lackland. potranco and 1604 area would like to a bottle trade maybe the beer sounds rowdy what lhbs do you use

I go to hpb on nacodoches. Theyre opening a new location on bandera next week i believe. It wont finish conditioning until xmas.

That's the same one I go to.. I am dropping off an application today to work there on weekends at the new location. Well if you are ever interested in a bottle swap let me know.

image-609485661.jpg

Check out this blonde i just got into the fridge and cracked today! Its got a nice hoppy bite to it on the back end.

grssmnperez said:
Whats happening? Did the yeast quit?

Nah you still have alot of kausen on top. U can Rick the fermentor to kick up some yeast if you think it's stoping. It also could be done... You had some good fermentation there before, you can always wait a little while and take a gravity reading.

kennywd said:
Nah you still have alot of kausen on top. U can Rick the fermentor to kick up some yeast if you think it's stoping. It also could be done... You had some good fermentation there before, you can always wait a little while and take a gravity reading.

It has completely dripped out of suspension and is clearing. I picked up some wlp 099 an some amylase. Thoughts?

Pick up supplies today total price for me was $67.. Like I said my friends did want to change recipe slightly and I had to use magnum hops added 5 ounces to keep IBU around 50... Well I may be off the site for about a week. But when I get back on I post up some pics and the fermentation. So we can compare notes.

grssmnperez said:
It has completely dripped out of suspension and is clearing. I picked up some wlp 099 an some amylase. Thoughts?

Take 3 gravity readings over the next 3 days. First see if you at or close to your FG than its done. Just let everything settle till you need to secondary.
If not see if the 3 gravity readings change .Even if the yeast has dropped it could still be fermenting. Like I said you can kinda kick up yeast and maybe keep it going.

As far as the amylase I have no idea never used it. Save the wlp 099 for now till you know.

kennywd said:
Take 3 gravity readings over the next 3 days. First see if you at or close to your FG than its done. Just let everything settle till you need to secondary.
If not see if the 3 gravity readings change .Even if the yeast has dropped it could still be fermenting. Like I said you can kinda kick up yeast and maybe keep it going.

As far as the amylase I have no idea never used it. Save the wlp 099 for now till you know.

image-2809291180.jpg

Take a look.

I just took a peek at the carboy and i am seeing signs of co2 coming up to the top in the form of tiny bubbles. The yeast starter looks and smells to be taking well to the amylase treated wort. Lets just hope it finishes the job in the carboy for this primary ferm while im in new york until mid july.

Looks good, how it going now?

We also have ours brewing and I started to follow your thread and learned alot about the champagne yeast. Unfortunately I still had to use it but now I buying the amylase today. And I also had an issue withy he bag breaking during the mash. Not sure what to do about that. All the Biab threads I didn't read anything bout that. And when u told me I thought well I'll just turn down the heat. Well it still broke. But first time ever we didn't have a boil over. But we also didnt reach our gravity. We only hit 1.100, it may have been cause we added to much water r didnt mix well either way will see how it turns out.

Its doing great and was still undergoing second ferment on friday when i left for new york from san antonio. I used a splatter guard to strain out the matter and small sifting screens for the small stuff during the boil.

Don't forget to let the champagne yeast go until it drops out. Then swirl the entire fermenter in a circular motion on the floor to re-suspend. Then make the starter of wlp 099 SHG using the partially fermented wort. Pitch after 24 hours.

Oh yea and ferment it really cold for the first 2 days. It makes a lot of heat and will probably blow the carboy if u don't.

grssmnperez said:
Well im on vacation so i hope all is going well.

Everything is going well. I will take some gravity readings to see where I am at before the week is over. Smells good and I lost a portion though the blow off tube during fermentation. Have fun in your vacation. Did you do anything before you left on vacation?

So I altered this recipie a bit and it is turning out great.
Here is what I used:

3 lbs American 2 Row
2 lbs Caramel Malt 80L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Flaked Maize
6.6 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs Dark LME
4 lbs Sugar
4 oz Summit Hop Pellets
4 packs Red Star Champagne Yeast
8 oz Oak Wood Chips
8 oz Cherry Wood Chips
1.75 5ths Knob Creek Bourbon

It was still fermenting on day 19 and every thing had fallen by day 21.
I transfered to the secondary on day 21 and it is going great.
Im hoping to bottle on 31 July and have it ready to drink by 21 DEC 12.....end of the world party.

combatdiver said:
Here is what I used:

3 lbs American 2 Row
2 lbs Caramel Malt 80L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Flaked Maize
6.6 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs Dark LME
4 lbs Sugar
4 oz Summit Hop Pellets
8 oz Oak Wood Chips
8 oz Cherry Wood Chips

Im hoping to bottle on 31 July and have it ready to drink by 21 DEC 12.....end of the world party.

Not a wise idea only using the champ yeast.

It drops out too quick. I would supplement with wlp0099 and go for a second ferment.

combatdiver said:
Here is what I used:

3 lbs American 2 Row
2 lbs Caramel Malt 80L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Flaked Maize
6.6 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs Dark LME
4 lbs Sugar
4 oz Summit Hop Pellets
8 oz Oak Wood Chips
8 oz Cherry Wood Chips

So far from what we can tell champagne yeast will only eat simple sugar. Now I have used amylase to break down te complex sugar Into simple sugar. And I'll tell ya how it goes by SAT. it should bring me down to the right FG. But we will see I have not supplemented the high gravity yeast so far. And hope not too but we will see how it turns out.

Would love to hear how this turns out though.

kennywd said:
So far from what we can tell champagne yeast will only eat simple sugar. Now I have used amylase to break down te complex sugar Into simple sugar. And I'll tell ya how it goes by SAT. it should bring me down to the right FG. But we will see I have not supplemented the high gravity yeast so far. And hope not too but we will see how it turns out.

Would love to hear how this turns out though.

Well after the champ yeast was done i dropped in the amylase (not beano) gave it about 24 hours then pitched the starter of HG then it started the second ferment. Check out the pics.

grssmnperez said:
Well after the champ yeast was done i dropped in the amylase (not beano) gave it about 24 hours then pitched the starter of HG then it started the second ferment. Check out the pics.

Well I will see how the amylase will do without dropping wlp099. Since it should make simple sugar and the wine yeast should be fine. Plus I don't have access to HG unless I ship it in. Over 2 hours from the homebrew store, that may carry it. It's kinda a fun experiment. Yeast is still pretty suspended but a lot has dropped out.

combatdiver said:
Here is what I used:

3 lbs American 2 Row
2 lbs Caramel Malt 80L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Flaked Maize
6.6 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs Dark LME
4 lbs Sugar
4 oz Summit Hop Pellets
8 oz Oak Wood Chips
8 oz Cherry Wood Chips

Did u ever take a gravity reading?

I have not taken any readings. Im fairly new to this and this is my 5th batch. I would like all the input I can get. I am reading as many posts as I can to gain knowledge.

Since its in my secondary, can I add more yeast? I have some S-04, S-05, and S-33. Let me know. Thanks

So is it ok to pitch more yeast in the secondary? I already got the oak in there?

combatdiver said:
So is it ok to pitch more yeast in the secondary? I already got the oak in there?

It may get a little messy with the oak in there, but your best bet is to get a wine thief/ turkey Baster grab a sample(do not put your sample back in the fermentor, drink or pour out) if your gravity is high u would want to pitch the s-33 since it can handle 11.5% alcohol. But you need to make a yeast Starter before you pitch. And you will want a good sized starter, because with alcohol already present, only the strong will survive.

Back