Ale Fire and Brimstone label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
Pretty new to the forum. Just thought I'd share my new label design. I'm in a flexo and specialty printing class right now. I'll be printing the label probably next week. The black and white logo is going on pint glasses. I'll basically be printing glass etch onto the glass.

I can't seem to post pictures, so here is a link that will let you see them.

Ale Fire and Brimstone

The color label is still pretty unfinished, so its a little bland looking.

3cdesign1233ebd1uo2.jpg

Cool. Where ya gettin' the pint glasses printed at? I'd like to get my own done, but I either have to order a buttload of 'em to get a decent price on each or pay through the nose....

Allan

I'm actually printing them in my specialty/flexo printing class. I basically screen print a reverse onto the glass in regular ink, apply the etch, then wash everyting off. The reverse in the ink acts as a mask so only the image area (words picture etc) are etched.

Interesting.... is this something that can be accomplished with relative ease at home? Or do you need some expensive equipment?

Allan

Well yes and no.

I'd read this to find out about screen printing.

The biggest problem is printing on a cylindrical object at home. We have a small press that rotates the glass as the squeegee and screen go over it. Dont know how you would do this at home.

I just might try this. The ink is washable, so the only time I'd be doing something permenant would be when It gets etched. Maybe if I print each glass a half a dozen times, I might get one right.....or not.

Allan

if you screen print and actually "cure" the lettering to the bottle, it shouldn't wash off. I used to screen print t-shirt back in the day and as long as things are "cured" in theory it should remain.

i'd print the image on the glass, use a heat gun to get it dry to the touch to prevent smearing, and then stick them in an over, set to 400degrees for a minute.

Actually, the etch process is somewhat different than straight screen printing.

Like I said above, make your design, then reverse everything (make the black white and the white black) You need to make the background black too. You will print onto the glass using regular poster/plastisol ink. Let it dry for at least 24 hours, or dry it with a hair dryer. Apply the etch with a Q-tip into the "reversed areas". These now become your image area. Let the etch sit for around 5 minutes. Wash everything off. The ink should come off fairly easily as well as excess etch. This will leave only the original image area (text etc) with the etched frosted look.

Back