Airlocks Or NO Airlocks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have four carboys for fermenting. I brewed with a friend the entire time I brewed and he had special fermentation stuff....anyway....I have seen several pics on this site where people use a large clear hose into a bucket of sanitized water for blowoff and some use the standard airlocks which I have. What is the deal with the variation in airlocks used?

Is one better than the other?

Thanks
Joe

Assuming a 5g batch, if you're fermenting in a 5g carboy, you will have hardly any head space and will need a blowoff tube (airlock would easily get clogged and/or blow off). If you have a 6.5g carboy, you can likely get away with using a stopper and airlock. Much of what i've read suggests NOT using a 5g carboy with blow-off tube because active fermentation can result in losing a decent amount of your beer through the tube, although lots of people do it.

As Grit said, the blow off allows the your carboy to spill out excess during active fermentation. If you have a airlock on a 5gallon carboy it will likely blow off during this time. I use a blow off the first few days and then switch to an airlock, after the active ferment is over.

I think a lot of brewers use both. For me it depends not only on the amount of headspace, but also the type of beer I'm brewing. If it's a very high gravity brew, or has lot's of protien rich grains (oats, rye, wheat, etc) I'll use a blow-off tube even when there's a lot of headspace. Once the initial fermentation is over, sometimes I'll switch from a blow-off tube to an airlock in order to make more room in my fermentation fridge.

Hi there,

I have four carboys for fermenting. I brewed with a friend the entire time I brewed and he had special fermentation stuff....anyway....I have seen several pics on this site where people use a large clear hose into a bucket of sanitized water for blowoff and some use the standard airlocks which I have. What is the deal with the variation in airlocks used?

Is one better than the other?

Thanks
Joe
No. One is good and the other is good. If i am brewing a lager (witch is normal for me) I use an air lock because the kraeusen is not to great. If I brew a Wee Heavy, then I use a big blow off 'cause the thing is going to want to come out of the fermenter. That's all.... Cheers

i use both methods . just depends on the OG of the brew and what i have available.

sounds great. My carboys are 5 gallons each and I will brew 10 gallon batches so I would have 2 going at one time.

How far does the large blow off tube get placed into the carboy?

Thanks

Back