Airlock turned brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafyloyal85

Reaction score
Question I woke up this morning and his is my first batch the airlock is brown/cloudy is that normal? I don't have an extra airlock. Any help would be appreciated

Likely, some of the klausen got into the fermenter. I would pull it out (you have positive pressure in your fermenter), clean it and put it back. Or not. As long as it's not clogged up, you should be fine.

You're getting krausen blowing into the airlock. If you have the ability, rig a blow off tube. Otherwise, pull the airlock, clean and sanitize and reinstall.

What temp is your beer at?

That is likely Krausen which is safe and not something gone wrong but you should replace it with a blowoff tube going into a vessel with sanitizer in it to act is the "airlock"

Agree, sounds like you are having a nice active fermentation going on and some has pushed into the airlock.

Clean it, refill it and let it ride.

Temperature before going to bed was 64 and this morning it was 66, which should of gone down to 64 now. Thanks everyone, I will clean it once I get home from work.

Before I switched to a blowoff tube, I came down the morning after I brewed a Rochefort 10 clone with trappist yeast. It was in a bucket with a lid, stopper and airlock.

The airlock had clogged and let pressure build up until it blew tons of gunk out on the floor and the walls. Beer turned out fine, though.

Lesson learned!

My first batch was so active it had kausen get into the airlock which managed to seal the gap between the airlock and cap until enough presure built up blew the cap off the airlock and coated some of the cabinets in my kitchen. My wife was not a fan. Since then I always setup with a blowoff tube for the first few days, then I switch to an airlock.

Latest posts

Back