Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hershey

Reaction score
So I'm into day 5 of my first brew, and today I noticed black stuff (mold?) growing on the part of the airlock that bobs up and down. Is it ok to take it off and clean, or should I just leave it? Its a plastic airlock. Looks to be the only area where the molds at.

Yes, take it off and clean it. Did you sanitize it? (you should).

Did it by chance ferment up and into the airlock and you didn't notice? Although it be gunky in the part that goes into the rubber stop as well...

Is it mold, or did some krausining (sp?) come up? In either case, pull it, quickly clean, sanitize airlock, and put back or after 5 days it could be ready to go to secondary if you choose. Was there still any action in the airlock?

So I took my airlock off and put plastic wrap over the hole while I cleaned and sanitized. It looks like it was only on the outside of the bobbing thing. Plastic seems a little rough in the areas it was at, so maybe some spores hide in there.

It definitely didn't ferment up that high. I’m still getting a little bubble action. Took a whiff before I put the airlock back on and it smelled kind of sweet.

Just have a bottling bucket without a lid and carboy. Would it be worth racking into the bucket clean and sanitize the carboy and rack back in?

My suggestion would be to leave it in the fermenting bucket for another week (2 weeks total) since you do not have a secondary. A lot of racking back and forth at this point would probably aerate the beer more than you would like. A secondary bucket or carboy isn't necessary, but I think it does help the beer to clear and taking the beer off the yeast cake after a week can help prevent off flavors...JMO. In the end, I have found the whole process to be pretty forgiving and I bet it will taste like beer! :D

Indeed with the Sanitizer,
I use Potassium Metabisulphate - and it is cheaper than Vodka :)

Andrew

I've been using boiled, cooled water in my bubblers for a year now, and it has worked well. Bubblers sanitized first, of course.

Back