Air lock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
Filled airlock (s style) to the line in both chambers. As the day progressed all of the water has moved to one chamber....I am assuming this is good and that it means co2 is starting to move the water. The question is, will the water push all the way out? Will I ever need to refill the airlock?

No. The gas will escape from one side of the S allowing the water to displace it. No worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the only reason you should ever need to refill the airlock is if you have a blowout during fermentation. I guess the water could evaporate too if you let it sit for long enough but you shouldn't really have to refill it at all. I switched to blowoff tubes after dealing with a few explosions and I've never gone back to airlocks.

Everytime I use one of the S airlocks the water first moves in the chamber going INTO the fermentor from the yeast eating Oxygen I guess. Then it slowly moves to the outward chamber before just bubbling out CO2 for the remainder.

One tip - you may want to use starsan or vodka or something in your airlocks instead of water. Quick changes in pressure inside the fermentor can cause the fluid to get sucked into beer. Ive heard some horror stories about ti causing infections, buckets are especially prone because they aren't as rigid.

I started using 3-piece airlocks since the "S" type is harder to clean.

Yeah, plus you can quickly turn those into emergency blow-offs with the right size tubing. I just wish the fluid didn't evaporate as much. Maybe my apt just has dry air, but I always find myself needing to refill those thigns halfway through fermentation

Yeah, plus you can quickly turn those into emergency blow-offs with the right size tubing. I just wish the fluid didn't evaporate as much. Maybe my apt just has dry air, but I always find myself needing to refill those thigns halfway through fermentation

I use a 3-piece w/StarSan and haven't had one evaporate yet. Also as CO2 escapes and it bubbles the StarSan, it promotes constant sanitizing to the inside of the airlock.

As long as the side toward the beer is lower, this means CO2 pressure is pushing down on the water. This indicates that you have at least some degree of seal on your lid and don't have to worry about things getting in.

I use the S-type with water/shine and never had an issue with evaporation. I've actually got a forgotten experiment from a friend that's been sitting in my laundry room for over a year and the airlock is still full enough (not what it used to be, but hasn't evaporated dry yet). I need to get rid of it, I'm sure the bucket is now tainted beyond use, but as long as the airlock is preventing it from stinking I'll let it sit there harmlessly instead of finding out what the inside looks/smells like :cross:

I use both S and 3 piece type of air locks. I like the S-type for stuff I know isn't going to blow out the air lock cuz if you don't fill the S-type past the lines it isn't enough liquid to get sucked back in, it will just bubble in the other direction.
I'm not sure if that's caused by the yeast using the O2 or the temp difference inside/outside of the carboy/jug.
In any case, I think they both have their + and -.

Latest posts

Back