Air Lock just blew off, head pouring out what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cn64

Reaction score
All.
This is 7th batch of home brew, this afternoon, I noticed that I was fermenting quite vigorously. Later, head started bubbling out of the airlock, then boom. The air lock and stopper blew out and hit the ceiling, none the less it made a huge mess. What next, my carboy is still in tact. Should I wait until the reaction settles and pop another airlock on it or have I ruined the batch??
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Not ruined. You are fine, this has happened to everybody at some point. Can you make a blow of hose? If not, just clean out the airlock (make sure its not clogged) sanitize it and the stopper and stick it back on there.

All.
This is 7th batch of home brew, this afternoon, I noticed that I was fermenting quite vigorously. Later, head started bubbling out of the airlock, then boom. The air lock and stopper blew out and hit the ceiling, none the less it made a huge mess. What next, my carboy is still in tact. Should I wait until the reaction settles and pop another airlock on it or have I ruined the batch??
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First, TAKE PICTURES!

After you're done cleaning up, put a blow off tube on the airlock.
Here'sa pic. of a blow off set up.

fermenter.jpg

Even some of us who have been brewing awhile have accidents like this. I quit using blow-offs because none of my AG batches to date had any. My current fermenting batch proved me wrong by blowing yeast slime out the top, leaking out of my fermentation fridge into the garage, and making the whole area smell. SWMBO was not happy. Either blow off or ferment in a big axx bucket.

+1 on using a blow off tube. If you have a 3 piece airlock spray you some starsan on it put it back inside stopper and put you a piece of tubing inside the airlock (over the plastic piece inside) and put the other end of the tubing in a jar of sainatized H2O. You should be good to go now. I started using these and have had really good results, Makes you sleep better knowing you won't have beer all over the place if you have a wild fermentation. Hope this helps

my 5Gal Hefe will almost always fill the ale pail, and start climbing out the blow off tube. I was lucky, that someone turned me onto the blowoff the first time i brewed a batch with 6 pounds of DME.

Airlocks are great for secondary or mostly grain recipes, but extract brews are safer with a blowoff.

I must pass on from the Memorable Quotes Thread:

Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
An airlock is the beer god's anus. Just because it blows off, it doesn't mean you are about to be covered in poo.

Latest posts

Back