Air lock blow off during primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew24

Reaction score
Just Brewed my second batch which is an Imperial West Coast IPA on Saturday. I was gone on Sunday and returned in the afternoon to find the air lock and bung blown of the primary. I sanitized a new stopper and air lock and began to bubble again. Do you think that the batch is still good? It appears that the batch is now cloudy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can't say with certainty that it's fine, you'll have to wait and see, but I've done is a dozen times and have been OK. It's cloudy from the yeast getting to work.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, after I transferred to the primary you could see it was settling and was starting to clear and settle about a 1/2 inch. Now it seems agitated, probably from too much oxygen??

Wait, you transferred it again? Take me through what happened to the beer from the time you turned off the heat.

Back