AHA Rally and Wort giveaway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm planning on attending this local AHA event at Lucid Brewing

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/events/lucid-brewing-co-aha-rally/

And part of it is a wort giveaway and I'm curious how that works.

Will the wort already be hopped and boiled, or will it just be from the lauter? Or is there some other option I am not thinking of?

It sound like fun, but not exactly sure what to expect other than showing up with a clean and sanitized bucket and lid.

Anyone ever participated in this kind of event? Is there typically any kind of follow up competition or something to see what people came up with?

Looks like you'll get a 5-gallon batch of wort (post boil) to bring home and ferment. The fermentation is on you. Sounds very cool.

I just received an email from the AHA and was just informed the base wort for the give-away is a Black Double IPA!

A double black IPA seems like such a strange choice. I've never done this kind of thing but to me it seems like it ought to be about creativity and seeing what different people come up with from the same base. But this doesn't seem to lend itself to making it your own creation. Not that I'm complaining about 5 gallons of free beer :mug:

I think the idea is to see the influence of one ingredient can have on a beer. The abundance of yeast suppliers would yield a number of very interesting choices. Have you checked out Yeast Bay? I'd personally try my hand with a lager yeast and end up with a black lagered IPA. Sounds good to me!

Yeah, pretty excited about the black double IPA!!! Especially if the flavor profile is going to be along the lines of DUO, which is a pretty tasty beer. I'm kegging up a beer that was fermented with Notty on Friday, so I'm planning on using some of the slurry for this beer.

Is anyone doing the big brew? I haven't decided if I want to lug out the setup, or just hit up the seminars.

I'll be there with the Midwest Supplies crew. We have a special deal for the event where you get a 6 gallon PET fermentor w/bung and airlock for $20. We will also have a sanitizing station set up so that everyone can give their fermentor a sanitizer rinse when they drop it off to be filled.

And we'll be brewing in the morning of course! Doing the Schwarzbier recipe.

We also have a lot of great guest speakers lined up for the day, covering some great topics - water chemistry, growing hops, BJCP overview and brewing for competitions, mead making, and a beer/food pairing session with the guys from the Better Beer Society.

So I guess what I am saying is.....why wouldn't you go??

See you there!

Probably too late to ask but do/can people bring samples of their homebrew to consume on site? I know there was a proposed change in the law to allow serving homebrew at public events but how does something like this work?

What a fun day yesterday! Here is the wort giveaway recipe scaled down to 5 gallons from what I can see from the brew sheet photos:

6 lbs 3.6 oz Cargill 2-Row (2.0 SRM) 48.6 %
2 lbs 12.3 oz Dingemans Munich (5.9 SRM) 21.6 %
13.3 oz Dingemans De-bittered Black (528.6 SRM) 6.5 %
7.6 oz Dingemans Aromatic Malt (18.9 SRM) 3.7 %
7.2 oz Mouterij Dingemans Cara 45 (47.2 SRM) 3.5 %
6.8 oz Mouterij Dingemans Cara 20 (20.8 SRM) 3.3 %
3.5 oz Pauls Extra Dark Caramel (143.5 SRM) 1.7 %
0.0 oz Paul's Chocolate Malt (438.0 SRM) 0.0 %
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 19.2 IBUs
1 lbs 6.7 oz Dextrose (1.0 SRM) 11.1 %
0.44 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.8 IBUs
0.44 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.5 IBUs
0.44 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.6 IBUs
0.44 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

View attachment LUCID Wort Giveaway.bsm

What a fun day yesterday! Here is the wort giveaway recipe scaled down to 5 gallons from what I can see from the brew sheet photos:

6 lbs 3.6 oz Cargill 2-Row (2.0 SRM) 48.6 %
2 lbs 12.3 oz Dingemans Munich (5.9 SRM) 21.6 %
13.3 oz Dingemans De-bittered Black (528.6 SRM) 6.5 %
7.6 oz Dingemans Aromatic Malt (18.9 SRM) 3.7 %
7.2 oz Mouterij Dingemans Cara 45 (47.2 SRM) 3.5 %
6.8 oz Mouterij Dingemans Cara 20 (20.8 SRM) 3.3 %
3.5 oz Pauls Extra Dark Caramel (143.5 SRM) 1.7 %
0.0 oz Paul's Chocolate Malt (438.0 SRM) 0.0 %
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 19.2 IBUs
1 lbs 6.7 oz Dextrose (1.0 SRM) 11.1 %
0.44 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.8 IBUs
0.44 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.5 IBUs
0.44 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.6 IBUs
0.44 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.88 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

Wow, your eyes must be better than mine.

Did you happen to actually take a gravity reading? I totally forgot to before I pitched my yeasts.

Probably too late to ask but do/can people bring samples of their homebrew to consume on site? I know there was a proposed change in the law to allow serving homebrew at public events but how does something like this work?

Did not see this until today....sorry! As you noticed - lots of homebrew being shared despite the legal status.

Good to see you there! We had a blast and it seemed everyone else did as well. We've got 5g of the wort pitched with 1203 Burton IPA yeast and the other 5g will be pitched with 1335 later today.

That was lot of fun. My first rally, will not be the last.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I was having trouble reading it.

My gravity came in at 1.076. Pitched Wyeast 1450.

Anyone dry hopping or doing anything else to the wort?

That was lot of fun. My first rally, will not be the last.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I was having trouble reading it.

My gravity came in at 1.076. Pitched Wyeast 1450.

I split mine into 3 1.75 buckets and pitched different yeasts. I had a brown ale and a kolsch that were ready to transfer to secondary, so I pseudo-washed them and pitched British Ale 2 (1335) Kolsch (2565) and then used a dry package of Danstar West Coast Ale for the third.

The 2 washed yeast have really kicked off but the dry yeast (rehydrated for about 45 minutes) is going a little slowly.

Lucid's brewsheet also included their dry-hopping schedule. Converted to a 5 gallon batch is listed below:

0.8 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %]
0.8 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %]
0.8 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %]
0.8 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %]

I was thinking of doing a similar dry hopping schedule myself.

Here are the photos of the brew sheets that Lucid shared on their facebook page.

Grain Bill.jpg

Hop Schedule.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I can't read a damn thing from that picture.

Good thing I have you guys to post it up here!
:mug:

Thanks for converting the recipe! I was having a tough time reading it from the picture. I don't have Chinook or Falconer's flight in the freezer, but I do have cascade, centenniel, columbus, citra and simcoe - so I'll probably put together some mix of those. The yeast went off to a little slower start than I was expecting, so hopefully it won't be too stressed. The wort smelled awesome.

Thanks for posting! I appreciate that I could read your information better than that posted in the images.

I was wondering why Chocolate is included in the recipe even though it is at 0.0%? I noted this on the Lucid document as well, but couldn't figure it out. Is anyone thinking of adding Chocolate malt to this if brewed in the future?

One final note, I measured my OG at 1.079. I confirmed this with Lucid who recorded there wort at just under 1.080. I suppose as long as you are using the same hydrometer, your final gravity reading would yield the same ABV number. Did anyone else record a different gravity?

Thanks for posting! I appreciate that I could read your information better than that posted in the images.

I was wondering why Chocolate is included in the recipe even though it is at 0.0%? I noted this on the Lucid document as well, but couldn't figure it out. Is anyone thinking of adding Chocolate malt to this if brewed in the future?

One final note, I measured my OG at 1.079. I confirmed this with Lucid who recorded there wort at just under 1.080. I suppose as long as you are using the same hydrometer, your final gravity reading would yield the same ABV number. Did anyone else record a different gravity?

No problem!

I'm not sure why they listed the Chocolate Malt at 0.0%. Maybe they used such a small amount like 0.04% and their program shows it as 0.0%?

My OG was 1.075 measured with my refractometer. Lucid stated on their facebook event page that the gravity was 1.075.

Anyone getting ready to start bottling or kegging this brew? Mine got to what I figured for final gravity last week so just letting it rest for now before bottling

Anyone getting ready to start bottling or kegging this brew? Mine got to what I figured for final gravity last week so just letting it rest for now before bottling

I just kegged mine on the 27th and pulled my first pint yesterday. This is a GREAT beer!! I was lucky enough to get 10 gallons of this wort.:rockin:
I fermented it in two PET carboys. I used Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 on the first one and Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale Yeast in the second one. The 1450 had a FG of 1.019 (7.4%abv) and the BRY-97 finished at 1.016 (7.8%abv). I dry hopped each fermenter for 16 days with 1 oz of Citra, Simcoe, Chinook, and 0.5 oz of Falconers Flight 7 C's. I slightly preferred the 1450 batch over the BRY-97. Both turned out great! Cheers!!:tank:

20140530_205151.jpg

20140530_205229.jpg

I brought some of mine over to Lucid on Friday to share and it turned out really good.

I split mine into 3 and pitched the following

1. Wyeast Kolsch (from a slurry I transfered the same day)
2. Wyeast British Ale II (also slurry)
3. Bry-97 west coast dry yeast

I bottled each separate plus a bland that was equal part of all three.

It was amazing the difference between them all. The Kolsch was very smooth and balanced. The british was very malty and the West Coast was bright and estery (in a good way).

What a great experiment and a pretty nice result.

Patiently waiting to sample my 1st home brew, thanks to Lucid & AHA.

IMG_20140607_181907.jpg

Crap!
I work about 2 miles from Lucid. How did I not see this?

I would have loved to get in on that.

Well I've been busy and didn't get to dry hopping until last night. Checked the gravity...1.042!!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:

I had pitched 1450, temp range was 60-66 the entire time. not sure what happened, I've never had a stuck fermentation before.

I threw a packet of US-05 on top. I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Back