AHA Big Brew Wort Chilling (Unconventional ideas to Chill ?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
My 1st AHA BIG BREW COMING UP This weekend..May3.
But this could apply to any off-normal-site outdoor brew.

A dozen +++ brewers.(and Me) ..And NO (maybe one) garden Hose to use for a wort chiller.
ANY clever/ creative suggestions on how to chill unconventionally, whilst away from OUR normal backyard hoses or faucets.?

With really only 1 spigot (we're in a parking Lot) it Seems like we'll need to be timing ENDs of Boils...Otherwise. :confused:

maybe daisy chain the chillers? may take a while but better than nothing...

What I do in my kitchen which could be applied anywhere with an outlet is make an ice bath and use a pond pump to circulate water through the chiller and back again so I don't waste water. By the time the wort is down to 72, my now melted ice bath is also at 72. It works out that they happen to meet in the middle. Just use a cooler instead of a kitchen sink.

you could fill a keg with ice and water , then store it cold during the boil , carb it, and connect to an immersion chiller. If everyone has a keg or kegs, then theres your portable, pressurized , ice cold water to quickly chill your beer.

Oh. and you will need lots of huge coolers of ice, and also large basins for people to "ice bath" there beer

Ice water (maybe salted to drop the temp even further) in buckets, either for ice baths, or even better, pumping through wort chillers. That latter idea, while the most effective, requires pumps that can push the water through the chillers so it may be less feasible. You might also be able to siphon that water through your chillers if you get a bit creative, but the flow rate will be limited.

Some of the brewers there might be interested in trying the Aussie no-chill method as an alternative, but recipes will have to be adjusted if they do so.

I make my AG BIAB 5 gal batches in halves. The first half I'll put in a sanitized bucket or cubitainer and fridge for a day, then use that to chill the second half simply by mixing it in. (If it'll be more than a day or two, I'll freeze it then thaw overnight in a fridge.)

Maybe you could do something like that, making half your batch beforehand? Pack the "cold half" of the wort in a cooler with ice to take with you?

I make my AG BIAB 5 gal batches in halves. The first half I'll put in a sanitized bucket or cubitainer and fridge for a day, then use that to chill the second half simply by mixing it in. (If it'll be more than a day or two, I'll freeze it then thaw overnight in a fridge.)

interesting concept agraz -
So you brew 2 days in a row ?....just to be able to chill your wort.??
Seems like 'Double' the 'fun', and work. no?

And won't freezing a partially fermented wort have some ill effect on the finished product?
And how does that effect the fermentation process? How does the yeast fire up again if you are dormenting it → and freezing it in a bucket?

or is this after a week or so...what am I missing?

just wondering. :mug:

interesting concept agraz -
So you brew 2 days in a row ?....just to be able to chill your wort.??
Seems like 'Double' the 'fun', and work. no?

And won't freezing a partially fermented wort have some ill effect on the finished product?
And how does that effect the fermentation process? How does the yeast fire up again if you are dormenting it → and freezing it in a bucket?

or is this after a week or so...what am I missing?

just wondering. :mug:

I do it like that mostly out of convenience and lack of desire to invest in a large kettle, big burner, wort chiller, etc.*. It breaks a 6 or 8 hour brew day into two or three 2-3 hour chunks. And they don't have to be days in a row if I freeze portion(s) of the wort.

I don't fridge or freeze pitched wort, just the fully boiled, possibly hopped (depending on the recipe) wort. Just think of the pre-made wort portion as custom-made, "less-than-fully-concentrated" malt extract, with bonus chilling factor.

-------------

(*And the fact that I can make these portions of wort on the spare stove in the food lab where I work, even while doing my actual work :) )

Fill a keg with water, chill it before hand to 34F and pressurize with CO2. Wrap in insulation material, place in a ice bath and use as a cold liqueur tank.
Of course when the CLT is empty its empty, but if you have a couple of spare kegs or any container you can pressurized and feed to the chiller you can have a series of CLT's on stand by.

This is what we use.
1001059_RPSIFWB_A_400.jpg

We are also out back in the parking lot with just a single spigot on the building.

One of the connections feeds this style of carbon filter.
108881_lg.jpg

BYOH

'da Kid

Just an FYI.

We have more of a problem with the electric.

The GFCI on the building exterior will occasionally trip and the hunt begins to find the culprit and begin again.

A couple guys have inverters in their truck for the occasional A/C need.

'da Kid

Back