Advice on buying a new welder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my year-end bonus. Before my wife spends all of it, I'm looking to pickup a basic welder. I don't need to build any bridges or anything :D, so I'm looking for a light-to-medium duty unit that can handle some basic fabrication, repairs, and specifically automotive repairs.

My skills are pretty basic at this point. I've taken a few welding classes, but they've been limited to stick. The in-class machines I've been working with have been pretty high-end, so I'm probably spoiled. I plan on taking MIG and TIG classes at some point in time. My biggest problem is that I only get to practice during class. I have 220 in my garage/workshop.

I saw this welder mentioned on an Automotive show on Velocity. The marketing seemed to be targeted at people learning to weld.

http://store.cyberweld.com/esreemp2105.html?gclid=CP7zqq-h3soCFQ6RaQodrHkMXg

This machine claims it can handle it all, and is pretty forgiving for novices. That comment makes me nervous.

Any advice? Any experience with ESAB? The reviews for ESAB seem positive.

first choice lincoln or miller second choice esab. Stick with 220v machine, maybe just a good quality MIG machine.
MIG can weld steel aluminum and stainless with correct filler wires and gasses when your ready.
TIG welding will take a lot of practise and welding fittings onto kegs will require a lot of learning before you should attempt that.
I've welded MIG stick and flux core for years and have to admit that I've brought my kegs to a guy who does TIG for a living do it for me as Im shure I would have just made a mess of it myself.

just my two cents
:)

OK - thanks. I've heard that from several people.

Are you a fan of the combination machines, or should I just stick to a dedicated MIG machine? What's the least you'd spend for a quality machine?

I wouldn't bother with TIG, MIG will be enough for anything "amateur" level. Hell, when I was a mechanic we used MIG for repairing the aluminum bed on a scrap hauler truck and it worked like a champ (although we did go with stick welding on the car carriers).

Well I'm not certified, but I weld allot , I would definitely advise you to go for a combo machine with TIG capability if I were you. Auto body is thin as crap and warps!..and yes it can be welded with MIG but you have to be good to do it as well , as it insist that easy either with out blowing through it or just cobbling on a mess. TIG is not all that difficult to learn..just like anything it takes some time. MIG has spoiled a lot of people because it is pretty easy on thicker metals.

You want the real scoop?...Check Jody's "Welding tips and tricks" out..He will steer you to the right machine for you...he use to teach and test welders...and he is a heck of a nice guy to boot..He will answer your emails and give you personal attention.. you just have to be patient.

I have been welding 40 years and I own 6 welders....I have learned a thing or two watching Jody's videos. Im a subscriber to his weekly videos and have purchased from his store... even if I don't need the info that week as its basic stuff for me sometimes, there are times what he just says sticks with me and the light go's on...as there is always more then one way to skin a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

Hope this helps.

Back