Adventures in stainless - e-HERMS and fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwood2000

Reaction score
OK so I've been planning an e-HERMS system for a while now. It started out with just a single keg converted to a BK for extract 5-10 gallon batches but then I wanted to take it further! So I figured I'd post my ideas and progress...maybe it will help some others.

I was able to get a hold of 3 extra sankey kegs. Obviously I only need three total for the HERMS system. So I thought I would turn the extra into a fermentre. I liked the design of the Brewers Hardware fermenter kit except for the fact that you really have no visibility or quality cleaning ability through that little 2" opening.

I saw btgold29's design here. This is definitely in the right direction, but I really wanted the features of the Brewers HW kit. Also a 4" opening is better than 2"...but I wanted bigger.

Soooo...I ordered up the parts to meld the Brewers HW design (thermowell, adjustable racking cane, and blow-off tube) with a 6" Tri-clover design based on btgold29's. Just got the parts today and I'll be having a few beers with my welding buddy tomorrow so I'll update this after the welding work is done.

Also, USPS was kind enough to deliver the final parts for my zero-dead space MLT design...pics below. Just need to build a stand for the MLT, cut the top off (well bottom I guess), and install the valves, pickup tube, return port, etc. The 2" tri-clover to MPT plate I got from Brewers Hardware.

Enjoy!

IMG_20130404_143831_217.jpg

IMG_20130404_143917_729.jpg

IMG_20130404_144138_018.jpg

IMG_20130404_165109_415.jpg

Back