Adventures in new fatherhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two greatest fears with kids are choking and burns. Hot dogs, raw carrots, or- oh, God! balloons or marshmallows! Hot soup, macaroni wort, and the worst was even thinking about deep frying anything.

It's funny how some things can really put a fear into everyday life.

I remember, before I had kids, a friend telling me that he was extract stovetop brewing with his kid in a Moby or Ergo or something.
I thought to myself, "Damn, that's irresponsible. That kid could get hurt."
Two years later, I was doing the same thing, with the kid strapped to me, but 10 gal. all-grain outdoors on a NG burner (I was super careful, for the record, usually facing away from the kettle and reaching behind myself to add hops, etc).
Now, all that 2 year old kid wants to do is go into the basement and play "grain", which is scooping and shoveling base malts.

... I ended up doing the same thing a couple days ago, with the kid strapped on my back and sleeping. I don't think I could have done it on the front, as that's just too close to the process.
It went pretty well. Mommies appreciate quiet time to themselves on occasion.

My wife wisely calls our pediatrician. .

On the phone docs are on high alert to avoid a lawsuit.

They will invariably err on the side of avoiding disaster in these type of cases. The mere mention of a rash relating to a food allergy and it's a potential code in their minds. (Justifiably so given the high cost of professional liability insurance in the USA)

My wife is from a country with near free urgent care medicine. I've fielded many a frantic phone call from her over the last 3 years with our little ones. Lots of personal experience with asthma and allergies over the years forms a bit of perspective.

With an anaphylactic reaction things get serious and do so fast, real fast. Thankfully they are rare. Common things are common. Most kids get the common reactions to foods, insects, plants, dust, chemicals etc. Too many potential causes to count.

No one wants to be that test case though, so individual's fear, worry and readily available online misinformation, perpetuate the doom and gloom medical scenarios unfortunately.

Now, all that 2 year old kid wants to do is go into the basement and play "grain", which is scooping and shoveling base malts.

My 2 year old loves to eat my bulk base malts. Maris Oter. is her fave. It really is delicious, so I can't complain (I gave her her first sample after all). The pilsner malt is not so enticing. Love showing them (1 and 2) all the brewing stuff. Trying to develop a couple of brewing assistants as soon as possible.

little brewers

20140209_114807.jpg

lol and here I am worried about her being a picky eater. most dangers haven't really hit me yet i guess. A few more weeks and I'm sure it'll come rushing to me.

lol and here I am worried about her being a picky eater. most dangers haven't really hit me yet i guess. A few more weeks and I'm sure it'll come rushing to me.

You don't know danger until you raise a boy. Everything is a weapon, all things can be climbed. If it looks or sounds dangerous in the least, of course it's going to be a ton of fun.

You don't know danger until you raise a boy. Everything is a weapon, all things can be climbed. If it looks or sounds dangerous in the least, of course it's going to be a ton of fun.

Sexist, reported.

My girl has sword training.

lol well of course! who doesn't like dangerous things???

I used to play with shaving cream with my daughter. The cheap Barbasol stuff!😃 she loved it and at 21yrs now she has quite fond memories, as do I!

The wife did a lot of reading on how to entertain/educate toddlers, and there's a concept called "sensory play", which involves playing with substances with different textures with hands, shovels, etc.

I never thought homebrewing would fit into that category, but here we are.

Aside, have you ever played with cornstarch mixed with water? It's crazy. Just don't dump it down the drain. Toddlers like it, too.

Can't wait to get the newborn into it, too.
My previous post in reply to that one. Sheesh my phone email must be seriously delayed!

2 days from getting home for my little one being born. Wife is starting to feel sick and nauseous... hoping the kid holds out. I don't think i've ever been so nervous about missing something.

I am working on an eBIAB system instead of my 3-vessel since I will have far less brew time after August 24th...

My sympathies mate, my wife and I just had our first. He decided to come a month early and spent a week in the NICU as a result.

He is quite the personality and 'sleep' has turned into a mythical thing that I once had heard of.

My real wonder is when I will get another 6 hour block to me another batch of beer.

I picked up an ANOVA cooking water heater thing to move my mash water heating to (slow) automatic electric and cut my brew day time expenditures. Estimating it will take me down to only 3 hours of actual time spent, since I won't have to monitor strike water heating, for 10 gallon batch, not counting the few minutes of setup a few hours earlier.

I'll see how this setup works on my next batch. (Might go get a piece of styrofoam insulation board and cut it to fit exactly around the unit also)

IMG_20150531_151307559.jpg

I'm already the father of two girls, age 4 and 2. The wife and I are expecting the arrival of #3 and #4 with twins (Boy and a girl according to the ultrasound) sometime towards the end of July. Hopefully before then we'll be moved into a bigger house and I can manage to grab a few hours of free time to actually do some brewing. :mug:

Got our first arriving in November, so working on getting the pub shed built asap to allow me some respite. Something tells me it will gradually become nothing more than a toy storage facility/ play room though :( !

I am now 33 days into fatherhood. My wife had the perfect pregnancy (never sick once) that makes other women want to murder both of us and had our daughter 1 day before the due date, induced due to slow leaky water. We took her for the 1 mo checkup today. Everything is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

But it will be funny when I see this thread later in my subscriptions and can't remember typing this. The mind is a strange thing without sleep.

I'd been transferred to Cincinnati while my wife was still up north at our old house having our daughter. Damned boss at Ford down there wouldn't let me go home, as I'd just been transferred & was on probation. So I know how that feels.

Man oh man it's fun reading this thread...

I have an almost 20 month old (i'm stopping that crap after 2 years...) and another one due in just over a month. I have absolute love for the new kid and will not regret any part of it... but i'm so worried about taking care of a kid who takes one nap a day and sleeps at night when i'm going to be so exhausted.
At least the wife is a "Stay at home mom" and i'm the only one working.... So at least that makes it easier.

Babies are soooo cute when they are in the people-shaped gooey blob stage, once mobile they loose a bit of the luster, but that returns when they learn to speak and comprehend what you say, then all turns awesome again.

Yes. Baby #2 (10 months old) just went from getting up once or twice a night to eat, to getting up 6+ time a night and not going back to sleep after 6AM. This has been going on for a week straight now. That's not cute, baby :(

No mistakes made yet in this current phase of sleep deprivation.

I can understand a 10 month old not going back to sleep after 6am. Maybe a nap or two sometime during the day. But waking up every hour through the night is unusual. I think I'd call the pediatrician or talk to him about it at the next checkup.

Could be a growth spurt. Feeding at every waking? Or teething? Try some infant Motrin, lasts. 8 hours

I can understand a 10 month old not going back to sleep after 6am. Maybe a nap or two sometime during the day. But waking up every hour through the night is unusual. I think I'd call the pediatrician or talk to him about it at the next checkup.
Could be a growth spurt. Feeding at every waking? Or teething? Try some infant Motrin, lasts. 8 hours

Oh, we have talked to the doc, used NSAIDs, benzocain, fermcap oral (gas drops). Eating at every waking.

We got lucky on the first kid generally sleeping very well, and we are probably just making up for it now.

Well... the little buzzard has an ear infection. First one baby in the nannyshare had one, then his best buddy got one, and now he has it. While taking care of him over the past week he's been pretty tough, but still... well... he's 1 year old with an ear infection.

Here's where something nice turns bad. We have been teaching him to share. He's a sweet kid, so he has been handing things over to us or his friends... including his binky. In between crying fits I was holding him and he decided to share. He popped his binky in my mouth.

I now have a cold and a sore throat complete with green throat pus. Only one who has it worse is his mom, who is in bed with the fever shakes.

Maybe kombat was right...

Nah.

Back