Adhesive for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Hey Gents. My Fiance just got me an Igloo Chest Freezer. It is does not have a latch, so it relies on the magnetic strips to create the seal. I want to make a collar for it from 2x8s. My concern is how to mount it onto the freezer without having the thing fall off one day while trying to open the lid. Obviously I will use isulation foam on the interior of the collar.

If anyone has any links to other threads pass them on, or just chime in with advice. Thanks!

I used Liquid Nails, it was their "heaviest duty" or "construction grade" product. My collar is mounted to the freezer with the stuff, and no signs of weakening after 3 years of (ahem) moderate usage.

clear silicone. no problems.

consider 1x8 instead, with 2" foam.
Look up R factors of different materials on google. Wood has a piss-poor R rating.
I built mine with oak (to look nice) 1 x, and then wrapped the insides with foam. Actually cut the foam to fit and glued it to the oak first, so the "whole" contraption was then siliconed onto the freezer edge.

Attach the collar to the hinges provided then attach the lid to the collar with new hinges. Less lifting.

Silicone caulk, from the big-box stores -
non-paintable, stays flexible. This is not your 'painting' caulk, this is a sealant.
But yes, you CAN scrape it off with a stiff putty knife, unlike the liquid nails.

+1 on the silicone.

We use it to secure down solid surface (eg corian, swanstone etc) It will do the job as well as the liq nails. It will remain flexible but still cure solid enough to "glue" the collar to the base. I happened to have extra tubes of the white 100% silicone so that is what i used.

An installers note- when you apply your "glue" you can be aggressive but know that the silicone will squish out. You cannont just use papertowels or rags and wipe it away. What we use is denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. Hit the overruns with that and remove with rag. You wont have the smears and "leavins" as you would if you used try water or other.

You can use that silicone to seam unions and simply spray the excess bead with the denatured. wipe with a gloved finger and the excess comes off and doesnt mess up the project.

As sticky as the silicone is, it was my choice for adding the interior rigid foam and the exterior wrap of solid surface pieces. (left over from a job).

cheers,
Scott

Back